Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Page sizes

Default Page sizes

Hi! new here, first posting.

I'm playing with the trial edition of Web Designer 5 at the moment, and like what I see.

Quick question however before I commit myself to the software... are all the templates that come with the full version 800pix wide? and if so, is there a quick way to resize everything to say 1280 without having to resize each element individually?

Default Re: Page sizes

Hi Mickie,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I believe all the templates began life on an 800 x 600 pixel page size.

You can change the page size if you wish. All the content will automatically center on what ever page size you choose.

Are you aware that a page size of 1280 pixels wide may not be best for people visiting your web site?

Many people use a 1024 x 768 or the older 800 x 600 screen size. Some newer computers are set at 1280 x 1024.

However you must consider that web browsers require some space for scroll bars. This will cut down on the usable width unless you want a horizontal scroll bar in addition to the vertical scroll bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd-options.gif 
Views:	128 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	68462  
    Last edited by Soquili; 16 December 2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added attachment
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    You can change the page size if you wish. All the content will automatically center on what ever page size you choose.
    Thanks for the response Bill.

I had noticed that I could resize the page, but it inevitably means resizing all the elements it contains one at a time ( it looks ghastly if it is just a small page floating in the middle of a sea of background colour ). I was hoping there might be a quick workaround to change everything with a click.

I agree that 1024 is probably the preferred option for web pages, but more and more monitors are using higher resolutions these days, and I imagine it won't be long before we need to make larger pages to accommodate that. Pardon the appalling pun, but surely 800x600 went out the Window with 98SE?

Hi Mickie,

After setting a new page size you can use Edit > Select All (or Ctrl+A) then use the Selector Tool and drag the bottom right sizing handle diagonally to resize all elements on the page to fit the new size.

As for 800x600, many people never learn to change the resolution their computer came setup with. Many XP machines were shipped setup with 800x600 resolution when packaged with a 15" CRT monitor.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi! there,

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    After setting a new page size you can use Edit > Select All (or Ctrl+A) then use the Selector Tool and drag the bottom right sizing handle diagonally to resize all elements on the page to fit the new size.
    AhHa, that's what I was looking for... I knew there had to be a lazy way to do it Thanks for the heads up.

One note Mickeblue

Make sure you click on the text with the text tool and make sure all fonts are
    whole pix numbers. If not you need to resize them - not a big deal.