Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poinsetta Flower

I recreated an image of a poinsetta bloom that broke off of my plant. I put it in a vase sitting on a tablecloth and shot it from above. This is a vector recreation of the photograph.

I did not intend for realism but I used the horticultural leaf fill on almost all the petals and leaves. The texture really makes it look photographic. I'm actually partial to a more painterly effect but I didn't know how to make the petals look good without the bitmap texture. Even so, I'm very pleased with it. I was especially happy with the tablecloth even though I used alot less detail than the actual cloth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poinsetta2009.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	68480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poinsetta2009wireframe.png 
Views:	373 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	68481  

Last edited by Burpee; 17 December 2009 at 12:43 AM.

Default Re: Poinsetta Flower

Beautiful Poinsettia Nancy. Using photos for textures make for photorealistic images.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I can't figure out where that white line is coming from on the large, upper left petal. Thought I fixed it but it's still there

Those mysterious lines have been reported as a bug. I hope it is fixed in the next update.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Lovely image Nancy That line looks like part of a rectangle, the other sides being a bit darker. Could it be a tiling thing?

EDIT: I stand corrected
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 17 December 2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: cross posted
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Burpee, nice touch all around. I do have a question on this comment in your post, "I did not intend for realism but I used the horticultural leaf fill on almost all the petals and leaves." Is this a special fill that you made or something new added to Version 5's fill patterns? Thanks ahead of time.

chuckray

Thank you Bill, John and Chuck.

Chuck, I made this flower with XX5P. I just opened my XX2 and checked the fills and see that Leaf3 is in the Horticultural folder so you should probably have it in your version too. Try looking in your fill gallery Horticultural folder.

I also think using a leaf that you've taken a photo of will work better than the Leaf3 in the fill gallery. XXs leaf texture is cropped quite close and I had trouble getting it to look right on some of the leaves. I was too lazy to go looking for a suitable one, lol.

Edit: the white lines may actually be a rectangle like John says. Somehow I messed up one of the petals and couldn't undo it. I could tell it was still wrong because applying a shadow to it created a square shadow instead of following the line of the leaf. I went back in and chose 'convert to editable shapes' and the line has moved up a bit as shown in the image above. It was originally lower on the petal.

The line is not visible in the xar file, only in exported images of it.

Wow, this is awesome. I haven't looked into using bitmap fills aside from the ocassional fractal clouds but this makes me want to. Good Work.

Your poinsettia is lovely.
    Mark Beckemeyer AKA (buckobeck)
    Amateur artist and hobbyist macro photographer. I like bugs.
    buckobecks.com

That is great work and a Beautiful Flower Nancy.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire