Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Access Violations and lack of updates during trial

I thought I would post this before starting up XXP (again). There are plenty of posts about access violations, empty files and the need to use XAReg to create .bak files so I will avoid repetition. I just sent the following note to Xara support:
    -----------------------
    "I continue to experience these with the latest one being a 0x7C911DAA while resizing a page. No choice but to exit the program without saving changes. Yesterday I had a crash that ended up with file - containing 25 pages - having 0 in it. I had to restore a file from the previous day and regenerate my changes (even though I was saving the file every 15 minutes or so). I now use the 3rd party add on XAReg to create .bak files.

I have disabled all spyware and the machine I use is routinely checked for virus/spyware and is also boot defragmented and Chkdsk'd.

My concern is why would you make the update available only to registered users when a person who is "Trialing" the product cannot get the latest code? Does the latest download not reflect the latest updates? Surely you would want to put your best foot forward to a potential buyer?

I have determined that sites of this size or more with 10 layers would not be able to be developed in WD or XX because of the lack of the extensive object gallery that XXP has. However I cannot see upgrading to XXP if the stability is not there. This will force me to relegate XX to prototyping only.

I do love the product but it seems there are issues surrounding losing files and access violations that seem to pop up routinely".
    ----------------

Am I missing something here? Why would Xara not make the latest code available during a software trial? I am licensed for XX and WD - neither of which I would consider using for an extensive website without the object gallery that XXP has.

I would be be particularly interested to hear from anyone doing extensive multi-page web development or proto-typing who is not getting access violations. (Not the graphics intensive 1 page folks).

Default Re: Access Violations and lack of updates during trial

Only Xara will be able to answer your question with any authority but it does seem like a sensible route to take that the update is only available to licensed users who have installed from the CD. Cracked software is rife on the web and bad enough as that is, why would they want salt rubbed into the wound by supplying bug-fix patches to those who don't deserve it.
    I stress, that's my take on it - not Xara's official word.

However, I agree - that the DL 30 day trial is likely to be the latest build which includes the bug fixes.

As far as program stability goes well, yes we've all read the posts and tried to help those who are effected. Often the issues are specific to the computer due to hardware problems or malware infections. Unfortunately the later is getting harder to detect and eradicate without a lot of work and frankly having an AV program installed does not guarantee your PC is free of of it.

As a side note. Thanks for using XaReg and finding it useful. But to be clear, XaReg is not responsible for the creation of .bak files. The feature is a Xara one, XaReg just enables the registry setting which is already there by design.

Finally, I've built reasonably large web sites without problems that others sometimes have.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    As far as program stability goes well, yes we've all read the posts and tried to help those who are effected. Often the issues are specific to the computer due to hardware problems or malware infections. Unfortunately the later is getting harder to detect and eradicate without a lot of work and frankly having an AV program installed does not guarantee your PC is free of of it.

As a side note. Thanks for using XaReg and finding it useful. But to be clear, XaReg is not responsible for the creation of .bak files. The feature is a Xara one, XaReg just enables the registry setting which is already there by design.

Finally, I've built reasonably large web sites without problems that others sometimes have.
    Thanks Steve. I agree about hardware/malware - particularly hardware. I have modified my Nvidia acceleration settings. I don't have time right now to get into temperature testing etc. but there could certainly be issues only revealed when Xara stresses the graphics/cpu (who knows?). As long as there are folks using the web development side extensively who are not getting these errors I am inclined to believe the problem is local.

I have a new desktop here ready to go when the 23" monitor arrives. I will see how everything behaves on it.

Interesting point on the .bak files. Nice to have them. Maybe Xara will add a setting in the options with the next release.

Ok. I'm making this post as Xara XXP5 is currently frozen.

Applications running:
    Word 2007 (to cut and paste text).
    Xara (20 page website)
    Windows XP (SP2) Task Manager showing processes and memory usage
    Firefox 3.

I had re-sized a rectangle that is linked to a text box on the following page via a placeholder(scrolling text). I clicked on "Window" to get to web properties and Xara froze. The cpu spiked to 97-99 percent. I closed Word and am using Firefox now - so the machine is not locked up, no access violations, no spyware. All other functions appear to work - albeit very slow. After I post this I will attempt to cancel Xara application from task bar.

Attached is Snagit image of windows task manager. I will of course send all this to Xara support.

Update: I was able to close the application from the task manager, re-open Xara and the file, look at the web properties placeholder and preview the website. No re-boot required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frozen Xara 1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	68326  
    Last edited by V12CatMan; 12 December 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Updated Information