Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Autumn

Default Autumn

You will have to forgive me posting this again, (originally appearing in the Stop and Post thread). I've done a bit more work to it, added some brush strokes to enhance the edges of the trunk a little where the light catches it etc and various other little alterations. It was meant to be a fairly spontaneous, quick sketch, (a wet afternoon drawing), so I don't want to spoil it too much by fiddling with it and making it something it isn't but I thought I'd post the slightly revised version.
    To answer a question originally asked in the stop and post. All the reddish falling leaves and those on the floor are vector, though used as a fill in multi overlaid semi transparent shapes to give depth and maintain luminosity against the background which is again multi over laid transparent shapes on a fractal backdrop. The tree trunks are obviously bitmap texture fills on numerous overlaid shapes so the texture curves around the curve of the tree shape. There’s some bitmap leaves under the red on the floor to add texture underpinning the top layer.
    Its all layers and transparency to try and keep it light and luminous
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autumn.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	68273  

Default Re: Autumn

I think the wet afternoon wasn't wasted Derek.
    I can imagine Hobbits entering the scene at any moment.

It really has a nice feel to it. Tranquil and a bit mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    ... It was meant to be a fairly spontaneous, quick sketch, (a wet afternoon drawing)...

That's why I don't start a new sketch after 22:00, you never know how long that "quick sketch" is going to take

That's why I don't start a new sketch after 22:00, you never know how long that "quick sketch" is going to take

The whole point was that it was a quick 'sketch' and I didn't want to mess with it too much 'refining' it and risk loosing the spontaneity.
    I think that that is what is lacking in much of the images that are carefully constructed using computers and its certainly something I would like to explore more, i.e. working rapidly, almost carelessly so as to allow accidents to happen.
    Derek

Very magical Derek

A good friend of mine from my art school days is a painter. She does painted "sketches" or small quick paintings before she does the full sized painting. I prefer her small sketches because they are spontaneous and have a lot of energy and she manages to capture the essence of the landscape in a modest number of brush strokes.

Sketches are good.

I guess I didn't reply to this before, but I like it masque!
    Allowing accidents to happen yields surprising and pleasant results sometimes.
    Does that mean you are in tune with your work, accepting what is happening and, working with it? I don't know, but I guess so.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I think you did a wonderful job on this work, Derek. It feels right.