Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why isn't it possible to create canvas smaller than 48x48

There is something I mentioned in the past, many Xara versions ago, but still it isn't possible, don't know why such limitation.

In any program I can make an image of any size, but if I want to make a 28x28 or a 5x5 image at Xara, I cannot, because the minimum size is 48x48 ...
    I know I can word around with clip view and such, but why do I have to spend the extra time with workarounds instead of straight setting the size I want?

Default Re: Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme Pro 5.1.2 update

No clip view or anything, just reduced in size ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5pix.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	68262  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Yes, you can resize any image as you wish, I meant the complete document. Because when selecting, and exporting as selection, sometimes it adds some pixels I don't want, so I always want to use: Area to Save - Page (when creating small graphics like thin headers or banners I need to control exactly all pixels).

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno View Post
    but if I want to make a 28x28 or a 5x5 image at Xara, I cannot, because the minimum size is 48x48 ...
    This is not true - what you are trying to do is create a *page size* of less than 48x48 pix.
    This is probably because you come from a photoshop or similar background where image sizes are dictated by the canvas size?
    Well Xara Xtreme is not a bitmap editor, it's a vector application which, like CorelDraw and Illustration works totally differently.
    You create or scale your image size directly on the *page*.
    The page size has no bearing on the output size of the illustration (unless you create the illustration to the exact same size as the page).

The page is your art board, the image is whatever size you want it, smaller or bigger than the art board as you like

Because when selecting, and exporting as selection, sometimes it adds some pixels I don't want
    This has been fixed in this latest patch.

I think there is some confusion here. I use Xara for many years so of course I know that I can resize an image any size I want.

I need to export any image the exact size I want because it's meant to fit an exact CSS box. It's much easier for me to create pages or canvas of the exact size I need. Because I cannot create any page below 48px it makes me spend extra time.

More than one time in the past, when exporting a selection, I had to trim down what Xara had added. If you tell me that it was fixed those are good news, I updated a few hours ago.
    Even so, why isn't it possible to create canvas smaller than 48x48 px ?

P.S. I also have CorelDraw X3 and it allows me to create a canvas of 20x20 px for example.

I'm still having trouble understanding why your canvas has to be the same size as your output. I frequently output icon images that are as small as 15x16 pixels. I just keep a sizing rectangle or output rectangle (or both) in the workfile and align each image for export as needed. A given workfile may have only one such image, or it may have a dozen.

I'm not talking about single small images, but slicing a big template in several parts. Yes, I can easily slice it in Paint Shop Pro, that I also own, but I want all parts separated in different pages at Xara for future customization, alteration and reuse. Instead of exporting or having to select what I need that time I just need to export the right canvas page.
    I find I save some time that way, and time is money.
    I understand that some people may see no use in this, but I do, it would have saved me hours of extra work...
    Selecting the rectangle or item and exporting that way isn't the same, as I need to also export the background or just a portion of the item, I hope I you understand what I mean.
    If I want to export a 400x14 px rectangle, aligned at a certain position, but I want it to also export the background with the image having an exact 960x15 size, how do I achieve this without clipview or having to create a second 960x15 rectangle, which I didn't had to in the first place...
    If other vectors applications allow me to create a canvas of any size, why does Xara have this 48x48 limit?

If other vectors applications allow me to create a canvas of any size, why does Xara have this 48x48 limit?
    I can't fathom your argument or why you are judging Xtreme by other vector apps.. In any case this is off-topic Nuno, please start a new thread if you wish to continue this or post a feature request in the Dear Xara.. forum

Thanks

Yes, no problem, I've requested this in the past, it should be an easy thing to do, if it wasn't done up to this update, I have to live with it, a pity, but that's life.

I only referred other programs when they were mentioned here... and all of those allow to do what I ask.
    I keep preferring Xara Xtreme for all other reasons, but this one is something that makes me loose time unnecessarily...