Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need Wisdom for Multiple Pic Site

Here's the situation:
    My wife has a website for her Cake Decorating Business. We have well over 100 pics and there are more coming, but we are getting complaints on the LOAD TIME of each page. (go figure)
    I need to 're-design' the site anyway, but my wife wants to keep the majority of the pictures.
    Does anyone have a more effective method than what I am using right now? Perhaps an existing site? or a Tutorial? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

site: raescakes
    edit* here's a good example of an OVERLOADED page: recent cakes pg
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Need Wisdom for Multiple Pic Site

Well the biggest problem is the cake photos are PNG which is both unnecessary and very much bloats the site increasing the download time ( as per your complaints).
    The photos would have been small JPG to start with but have been exported as PNG. You need to make sure that your set the web image type to JPG in the Web Properties under the Image TAB..

For example image 99.png is 225kb yet as jpg it's only 29kb, that's a huge difference. Now multiply that by all the cake images on your site and you can soon see that each visitor is being forced to download many megabytes of images where it is not necessary.
    Even the thumbnails are much large in kb's than they should be.
    42.png is 10kb whereas a jpg measure only 2kb.

Thanks Sledger,
    I'll adjust that.

As far as my 'method' of displaying the pics, is this the most logical/effective?

Thanks again

That's down to you as the designer.
    I think you'll find that once the images are JPG and the pages load much faster that the site will feel and work much better for you and your visitors.