Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need direction with Xara Xtreme 5

Hi, a newbie here...
    I have just purchased Xara Xtreme 5...
    I have been a Dreamweaver user for quite some time, and I know some of my
    learning problems with this new software, are because of that.

I am getting there, trying to redo a website that was created with
    Dreamweaver. But, how the heck do you create a link on a graphic to a
    external file. The external file is a zip file to be downloaded. I know there has to be a way....in this awesome web creator because it does everything else so well!

Also, doesn't the first page need to be named index.htm for exporting to my website? Just want to make sure that I did that right! I have spent this entire day trying to get the answers to these questions, the help files, tutorials, and searching though this website. Finally I give up and now am a new member here so that I can ask my questions. Besides, it is time to go fix dinner! Maybe by the time I get back here I will have an answer.

Other than these questions I am loving what this software does!
    I do know html, I have coded or fixed coding, created websites for numerous years...just to let you know that I hopefully will understand whatever you tell me. The only part where I feel kind of lost is that I cannot view the html.
    But, that is just a habit, to be able to go in there and change or add what I want. I do love the object gallery...just would love an import there! To import external files to a layer would be great!
    Thanks for any help ahead of time!
    Deanna

Default Re: Need direction with Xara Xtreme 5

As far as I know you upload your zip file separately (or you can put it in the index.htm_files folder, but then it gets re-uploaded every time you update the site) then use web properties to link from the image. Hope you enjoyed your dinner & welcome to TG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	url.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	68250  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    Also, doesn't the first page need to be named index.htm for exporting to my website?
    Xtreme will automatically name the first page index.htm without any input from you

The only part where I feel kind of lost is that I cannot view the html.
    But, that is just a habit, to be able to go in there and change or add what I want.
    This stumps many people who come from Dreamweaver or other HTML editors.
    Remember one important fact:
    Xara Xtreme is NOT a html editor - here is no HTML in Xara Xtreme.
    What Xara Xtreme is, is a vector graphics design/illustration application which can also import bitmap files (JPG/PNG etc) for including in graphic designs.
    Graphic design can now also mean Web Site mockups or complete working websites (since version 4) when you choose to *export as HTML*
    Only after export is there any HTML source to see (but you cannot import a .html website, only the graphics from it)

Version 5 has introduced faster and easier ways to design and export as HTML websites and add external code snippets and widgets, examples and discussion of this can be found right here at TalkGraphics

I do love the object gallery...just would love an import there! To import external files to a layer would be great!
    You can.
    In the object gallery, select the layer you want to import a file to (a photo for example) and drag'n'drop your file into the document area or select File>>Import.
    Other files such as animated gif or flash (swf) can be added using a placeholder and browsing for the file from the Web Properties 'placeholder' dialog.
    You can hide all other layers while you do this to make is visually easier to cope with what's happening on the selected layer.

And Welcome to the TG forums Deanna

Hi,
    I do understand all of this, but how do I make the image a link to that file? I already have the file on my website. But, how do I make the image a link to that file? I cannot find anyway to import the exe file to be able to link the image to.
    I tried importing the zip file onto the canvas in hopes that it would then be placed on the layer. The software did not recognize the file type and would not except it.
    The only way that I can see to to be able to make the image a link to the zip file is to get the zip file onto a layer somehow which I have been unable to do!
    That is my question, how do I do that?
    And by the way, dinner turned out good!
    Thanks,
    Deanna

Thank you both for the welcome!
    I forgot to say that!
    I appreciate it!
    Deanna

Hi,
    I do understand all of this,
    I don't think you really understood that you can import files to a particular layer right

but how do I make the image a link to that file? I already have the file on my website. But, how do I make the image a link to that file? I cannot find anyway to import the exe file to be able to link the image to.
    I tried importing the zip file onto the canvas in hopes that it would then be placed on the layer. The software did not recognize the file type and would not except it.
    The only way that I can see to to be able to make the image a link to the zip file is to get the zip file onto a layer somehow which I have been unable to do!
    That is my question, how do I do that?
    Umm nooo, wrong mindset, you don't import zip files or executables etc for linking to
    Let me see if I can set you on the right path Deanna..

You say your zip file is already on the server right?
    Let's assume the zip is named my.zip and server path to the zip /public_html/files/my.zip
    We'll also assume your domain name is www.mydomain.com
    This means that in order to download the my.zip I would have to enter the full URL into my browser address bar like this:
    http://www.mydomain/files/my.zip

OK - now we want a button image to appear on your Xtreme page which links to that right?
    (And we'll assume you will be uploading your finished site to the root of your hosting space eg; /public_html/ (or similar)

So, on the Mouseoff layer we create a button.
    We select the button and then go to the menu bar and press the 'link' icon (looks like three chain links) or press Ctrl+Shift+W to bring up the Web Properties box and press the Link tab.
    In the field which says "Link to web address" we can enter the full URL to that zip file like this:

http://www.mydomain/files/my.zip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	absolute.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	68251

That's the full URL to the file, AKA 'Absolute Path'

You could alternatively enter "/files/my.zip" - which is the 'relative path' (relative to the root (or start) of your hosted space) - but here you need to uncheck the box which say's 'correct address automatically'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relative.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	68252

OK - that the basics for linking to any file you want people to be able to download.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 09 December 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Need direction with Xara Xtreme 5

OMG Sledger!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you I get it!
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Deanna

I just did it, what you said, tested it and it worked perfectly!
    Thank you so much, could not find that anywhere in the help!
    I know, I have to change my way of thinking with this program!
    But I really do love what it does and I know when I get the hang
    of it, I will leave smoke trails!
    I so appreciate that this message board is here! And you, the people
    that offer the help advice!
    I may be back! I like where I am going now!
    Deanna

Happy to help a newbie
    (oldies should know better... )

Default Re: One more question with Xara Xtreme 5

I'm back, eek
    Is there anyway to set your site pages to expand or contract
    to fit any size of browser? In Dreamweaver I can set it to fit 100%
    of the browser, whatever size it is. Can we do this with Xara Xtreme?
    Haven't been able to find this information in the help either.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help!
    Deanna