Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme Pro 5.1.2 update

I went through the update procedure last night and it went through to XX5.1.2.10703 flawlessly. I am using WinXP and was going from XX5.1.0.9131.
    Erik

I think this is a windows 7 issue.

@sledger: my language is set to English (Canada).

No problems with installing on Windows 7 64bit here Mark.
    Smooth as silk

Hopefully Xara will get to look at this after the w/e and have an idea for you.

Really? No problems for you? Well... i'm not sure then where to start looking. Maybe a windows security or firewall issue?

I'll keep digging around then now knowing you had no problems with this.

Thanks sledger.

Well, I for one am not a great fan of online updates.
    I prefer to have my updates close at hand.

So I used SysInternals Process Monitor to watch the Xara update process and secure a copy of the Updater.exe file before it executed and subsequently was wiped from the system.

Finders keepers.
    Stephan

PS. I will not post the update file. I assume that would be against Magix' policies.
    Last edited by StephanP; 15 December 2009 at 10:08 AM.

Finders keepers.
    Just remember, you buy a license to use the software. You have no rights to the software, only the license. The Software developers have the rights to the terms of the license and by what means they deliver a free update.
    Announcing how to keep an update for (even if you proclaim it's not for possible distribution to those without a license) is all very clever and smart of you but is it really necessary to show off?
    Bad form.

If I remember correctly, we customers of Xara products got an account as Magix users when Xara became part of the larger company.
    If we access Magix site (with our e-mail and password) we can regularly download patches fo Xtreme and Xtreme pro, in this way we should not violate any license if we keep a copy of the patch for ourselves.

Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    If we access Magix site (with our e-mail and password) we can regularly download patches fo Xtreme and Xtreme pro
    This is not currently the case.
    Registered license holders of Xara branded software have access to their 'Service Center' (Via the Sign in | Register link at the top of each xara.com page) where their registered licensed is recorded along with their license details. The old Account Admin area ceased to be updated after Xtreme version 4, so there are no direct download links for newer software there.

Program updates for Web Designer and Xtreme 5 are available only from the Help>>Update program menu item within the software, as publicly noted here;

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view

I downloaded the patch from Magix site, here is the page reserved to users with Login.

I received a message from Xara in April 2007, which announced:

"Expanding the horizons for Xara customers
    We at Xara would like to introduce you to MAGIX, the new owners of The Xara Group.
    MAGIX are Europe's leading multimedia software company for video, audio & photo software - in other words our Xara customers will now be able to benefit from a far greater range of software.
    As a first introduction you'll find a copy of the MAGIX Newsletter below which includes a welcome offer especially for Xara customers, the first of many you can expect on this award winning software and only one of the benefits that Xara customers will see from this new alliance.
    The MAGIX Newsletter will continue to come through to you in your national language on a regular monthly basis and we hope it will encourage you to explore the wide range of new products on offer to Xara customers. But if you decide not to take advantage of future MAGIX correspondence, you'll be able to unsubscribe from the MAGIX newslist with any issue of the MAGIX Newsletter.
    Your Login: --------
    Your Password--------
    "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magix.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	68424  

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I downloaded the patch from Magix site, here is the page reserved to users with Login.
    I can't comment on that, Xara registered users (the majority at Talkgraphics) don't have access to the MAGIX support site as far as I know.