Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Crumb Trails

Default Crumb Trails

Hi Guys,
    I have a need to place a crumb trail at the top of my web pages. I have searched through the comments and help files here but the closest I came to was a 'crumb' of comfort :-)
    Has anyone done this and if so how? Many thanks, Trev

Default Re: Crumb Trails

Hi Trev,

I don't know how to do this in Xara but have you tried searching for bread crumbs or breadcrumbs?

I think that's the 'official' title of those beasty links.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Thanks Ed, I'm afraid that gets me the same results. I think a navigation bar may be a simpler option. I'm on a steep learning curve at present so trying to find a simple way out for the time being; I can always revise the setup later. My other two current dilemmas are a calendar/diary that will generate a to do list (there's a whole pile out there!) and a search box that searches just the site and not the net. Onwards and upwards :-)
    Cheers, Trev

I don't know how to do this either, in fact I don't build websites at all - but as a user I find these kind of links are often very very useful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

This is something you'll have to implement yourself, probably with HTML placeholders. Here are a couple of links I turned up via Google that might help get you started. Your own Googling will probably be of help to you.

https://www.msu.edu/~urban/sme865/re...eadcrumbs.html

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...t-practices-2/
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

I think that the most useful breadcrumbs are usually found in very deep sites so that you don't lose your place, and often come "generated" by some sort of backend system.

However, you can do the breadcrumb trails manually in Xara in the same way as you might do the "you are on this page" graphic that usually shows up in a navigation bar. If you are on the "Services...web design" page of the site, then you would put the links up top to the main services page and display the current page. This really would only be an illusion to the website viewer that the site "knew" where they were, but really, they would be static links on the page in this case, just like any other links you might put there.

Make sense?

Does that help at all?

Thanks (again) Spinny, I have taken a look at your links but, as I said earlier, thats one step too far at this time. I'll probably revert to a navigation bar either top or side for the time being. Again thanks anyway. Trev

Most breadcrumb trails are only simple tet links just add them in yourself page by page wont take that long then when you design a new page its seconds to add the links after that.

Dont be overcome with onformation its a simple old text link thats all