Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How to ensure first page of pdf opens

Yes good pointer and this can work well Harry provided the user has Adobe Reader 7 or greater installed with the browser plugin properly configured.
    Totally ignored otherwise unfortunately.

Yes, there's almost always a catch. At least it will work for some and for the previous versions, at least it won't totally bomb out since the extra command(s) are ignored. Plus, there's always the free upgrade path to Adobe Acrobat Reader v7 through V9 for those still using older versions. All hope is not lost.

Sledger, thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try. I did briefly try to import a pdf a couple of days ago but had some problems that I won't cover now. Suffice to say I'll try again and let you know what happens this time. If it works, it will also remove my 'jump to first page of the pdf problem' although I suspect it might cause problems with the hyperlinks in the pdf documents themselves.

Harry, thanks also, if the approach above fails I will certainly give that a go. As I mentioned earlier I use Acrobat v8 for file generation and Acrobat v9 Reader so compatibility should be OK.

I may not be able to check either of these until later tomorrow so I apologise if I don't manage to report back until then.

Thanks,
    Trev

Further to my last, I first imported one of my smaller pdf files which runs to about 130 pages and around 4Mb in size. It did import successfully but took around 30 mins to do so. When trying to save the project with the imported file, after about 2 minutes the computer crashed completely followed by a re-boot. The file had not saved successfully. As I have around 150Mb worth of pdfs to incorporate into this project I have reluctantly decided that is not the way I want to go.

Just to see what would happen I produced a cut down version of the project that was around 2Mb in size and uploaded that to the free webspace provided by Xara. This is identical in all respects to the full version except the links to drawings are not implemented and the pdf files have been reduced to just two pages for each file. This works well and even opens pdfs using my copy of Internet Explorer. The original problem of not automatically opening a pdf at the first page still remains however, I have yet to try out Harry's suggestions which will be my next step.

I still have the problem of not being able to open this project when it is presented on a CD or on the PC using Internet Explorer although as stated before, all of my other browsers work perfectly. That is my main concern at present and any further suggestions will be gratefully received. Should anyone be interested, you can see the cut down version of this project at
    http://trev.magix.net/public
    Thanks,
    Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Trev501 View Post
    free webspace provided by Xara.
    Sorry to go slightly OT, but please explain this comment?
    Perhaps it's something MAGIX offer their branded software buyers rather than Xara?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Sorry to go slightly OT, but please explain this comment?
    Perhaps it's something MAGIX offer their branded software buyers rather than Xara?
    The Magix Xtreme Web Designer 5 software I purchased comes with a free 500Mb of web space as part of the package. It is upgradeable but is fine on its own for what I need at present. I'm still a little confused about the relationship between Magix and Xara but assumed they were essentially the same.
    Trev

Full details here: http://www.magix.com/uk/magix-ag/pre...-designer-5-2/
    Last edited by Trev501; 04 December 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: As shown

Xara Web Designer is a download only software. No boxed package.

MAGIX (German company) aquired Xara (British company) in 2007.
    Charles Moir explains what this means here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=25654

MAGIX and their take on the buy-out here:
    http://www.magix.com/uk/magix-ag/company/history/

(Apparently Xara users are Anglo-Saxons ??)

Thanks for the background info Sledger. I have a better understanding of where the company is at present; speaking purely as an Anglo Saxon you understand :-)

Just my last post on this to say thanks to all for their contributions. It seems obvious that the problem of opening pdfs in Internet Explorer when the web pages are on a CD is a problem with IE and not Xara/Magix. Having googled this problem from several angles it appears lots of people have discovered this but it appears no-one has been successful in finding a cure, at least as far as I could see. As someone here mentioned earlier in the thread it is an IE security issue. If I find a solution I'll post to let you all know.

Thanks again, Trev

Default Opening web pages on a CD using Internet Explorer

Hi again All, I thought I had finished this thread with the likelihood that IE security was the cause of my problem. This has now been complicated by the fact that I have obtained another set of web files on CD that contain pdf files and these work as expected!

My reason for reposting here is that I would like to be absolutely certain that my Xara (Magix) web software is not contributing to the problem. I would be very grateful if someone out there has the time to copy one of their website creations (or a subset) that contains links to a local pdf file(s) onto a CD and let me know if it runs normally from the disk using Internet Explorer as the browser? If it does I can fully concentrate on the IE component of the problem.

Many thanks,
    Trev