Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to ensure first page of pdf opens

Hi All,
    New user of Xara software and still on a fairly steep learning curve. I have searched every where I can think of including here to sort this small problem. I'm using Xara Xtreme Web Designer 5 and have a fairly simple three page web document that has links to multipage pdf files. When I select a pdf for the first time I am directed to the first page of the pdf (which is what I need as it is a hyperlinked index to the rest of the pdf). Subsequent use of the link to pdf button takes me to the last page viewed rather than the first page or index.

Is there a method of ensuring the pdf is always opened at the first page?
    Many thanks, Trev

Default Re: How to ensure first page of pdf opens

Welcome to TalkGraphics Trevor

I wonder if this is a function of the browser's cache and not Xara Xtreme or Xara Web Designer (two different products, by the way).

When the page loads at the last page of the document, what happens if you refresh the page in your browser?

Hi Gary, thanks for the welcome.

As you suggest I tried refreshing the page (several times) but the problem remains. Interestingly, I normally use Google Chrome as my primary browser but I opened the web pages in Firefox instead and find the same problem. In fact, if I leave the pdf at an arbitrary page when using Chrome, it opens at that page when using Firefox!

Thanks again,
    Trev

Just edited to add that it appears easy to confuse the separate software titles. I'm using Magix Xtreme Web Designer 5 according to the box it comes in. The software itself directs me to this forum for discussion. It appears that Xara Xtreme and Xara Web Designer are totally separate items from Magix Xtreme Web Designer! I think I need to lie down :-)
    Last edited by Trev501; 03 December 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: As shown

Perhaps when Steve (sledger) rejoins us from down under later today, he will have some insights to offer as to why this is happening.

Sorry about not knowing that the Magix version uses both titles. Odd. Same product basically I think.

It doesn't sound like the browser. It sounds like your pdf reader is the culprit. Most of them have some sort of a client that works with your browser. During installs, they usually ask if you want it integrated into your browser. If you say yes, it usually sets itself up for all the browsers it finds on your system, or at least those for which it has installers.

If you didn't install the reader, then it's probably Adobe Reader. You can try going into your reader and looking for an option or setting for the page it should open to by default.

Thanks amoore,
    I use Acrobat 8 to generate pdfs but have Acrobat Reader 9 installed as the default reader. Acrobat 8 has an option to 'return to the last used page' but it is not checked; I don't believe Acrobat 8 is used by the browsers anyway. I am not sure what the browsers are using other than it is a version of Acrobat but none of my browsers (IE8, Chrome, Safari or Firefox) appear to give me the option to change this setting.

Grateful for any other suggestions but I can probably live with this if necessary.

Thanks again,
    Trev

Further to my last, and apart from the problem mentioned above, it appears my web pages work as expected in Chrome, Firefox and Safari but in IE8, all links to pdf files fail to operate! I have tried running the software using IE8 on both my desktop under XP and a laptop under Vista but neither will open the pdf files from the link buttons

These files are all run from a CD rather than published on the web however, its likely that the majority of my users will be running some form of Internet Explorer. This may warrant a thread of its own in which case I apologise and will shift it if asked.

Thanks,
    Trev

Trev,

Using a local CD for your testing will result in IE8 failing to open the pdf files. This is part of Microsoft's local security. If you upload to your web host the links should work normally using IE8.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Trev501 View Post
    Thanks amoore,
    I ... have Acrobat Reader 9 installed as the default reader.... I am not sure what the browsers are using other than it is a version of Acrobat...
    If you have Reader 9 installed, then more than likely that's what the browsers are using.

Can you post a link to the domain/file?