Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Stop & Post December 2009

I like the results Larry, great job.

Wonderful silhouette lady, cheerful Christmas tree and very cool dragon composition. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Thank you Nancy.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Gary, Bruce, and Black Panther.

Nice work Larry, I think you captured motion well in you're final version.

Bruce, I like the silhouette, she's very pretty.

You've really got a handle on this Xara thing Black Panther, both pieces are very nice.

Mark

Hello fellow Xara users. I am really enjoying all the creativity expressed here, as well as the excellent advice and tips. Too cool. I've have a few works completed that were created in Xara so I thought I would post another. Working on a new eagle and skull, will post it soon.

PS. Is there a limit as to how many works you can post in an allotted amount of time?

Have a great day! Mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luna.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	68106  

You guys are amazing. Simply amazing. I'm constantly dazzled by what this software can do in talented hands.

Just read a recent book about vector graphics. The authors state that they are inappropriate for photorealistic images and photo retouching. It's obvious from the book's content they're Mac heads and have never seen what Xara products can do. I think they'd get an education!
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

I agree Spinny, there is definitely some amazing talent here, and much to learn from people who are obviously passionate about Xara.

I'd say it's obvious from many of the posts on this site, and from personal experience that the authors of your book are wrong. Xara is capable of that and much more. Just curious, what book were you reading from?

PS. Don't forget to include yourself in that group Spinny!

Good day folks, Mark

For the curious it's called Vector Graphics and Illustration, A Master Class in Digital Image-Making, by Jack Harris and Steven Withrow, published last year by Rotovision SA.

In fairness it's quite a good book: the authors showcase a lot of brilliant vector-based work, and reveal a lot of technique and mindset for creating it. I was just put off by such a bald (and demonstrably false) assertion made on one of the very first pages. Someone I commented to about it opined they might be Mac-only artists and unaware of Xara at all. I looked more closely at the screen shots and yes, indeed, every one is obviously from OSX, and the software they mention is all Mac-flavored to some degree.

While I recognize that Macs are great--I even secretly pine for the disposable income to get one on the side--it just seems before you write a general-audience book you'd do your homework a little better, that's all. Xara is not exactly invisible, at least not once you get off your figurative porch and look around.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

A butterfly I drew during the year. I do apologise if I have posted it before.
    Rupert

Name:	bfly.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	68130  

Nice skulls Mark! I think it would be fine if you posted several works here or you can post a new thread in the gallery too.
    Nice butterfly too Rupert.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Thanks Bruce. Here's another completed Xara work. I call this one Talon X. I got to play with the bevel tool a lot making it.

Mark(aka buckobeck)

Name:	buckobecktalonx.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	68138