Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

: I have just reinstalled the software and I still have the same problem.
    : When I import a photo and paint on it in clone mode, I get the green pattern image in the brush stroke. I do not see that any of my settings would cause this but no doubt I have missed something obvious!

: Please help! I've had painter for some time and always given up in frustration. And I DO read the manual!!
    IP

: I have just reinstalled the software and I still have the same problem.
    : When I import a photo and paint on it in clone mode, I get the green pattern image in the brush stroke. I do not see that any of my settings would cause this but no doubt I have missed something obvious!

: Please help! I've had painter for some time and always given up in frustration. And I DO read the manual!!
    IP

Hi Chris!

I think someone may be better able to help if you could be more specific.

Did this ever used to work to your satisfaction?

For example here is how I use the clone feature. Please tell me what you do similarly and differently. Maybe that way someone here can give you better advice.

Please forgive me if this is too basic for you, but we have to start somewhere and maybe someone new to the program will learn something.

1. open bitmap/raster image (like .bmp or .tif )
    2. immediately rename (SaveAs) the file so that my original is not accidentally messed up
    3. Click File-->Clone
      This should automatically create a second file named "clone of original" that you can trace from the original into this new document
    4. But wait, for some reason, I can't get that tissue paper effect for tracing.(?) Here's what I do to get the tracing paper effect:
      <ul>
    5. Click Select-->All (you should get those famous "marching ants" that indicate a selectio)n
    6. Click Edit-->Clear (this should get the famous tracing paper effect)

[*]from here, your clone's original sits beneath your clone and you can use the orginal as a guide[*]if you use any brush other than the cloners brush, it is as if you were painting on regular paper. You simply have the advantage of a semi visible image of your original beneath your paper[*]if you use a cloners brush on the image that says "clone of" then, Painter will pull the info it clones from the orignal unless you consciously change your cloning source (at File-->Clone Source-->some other image name [*]if your second Clone source does not have the same dimensions as your clone image, then you may get some extra white where you weren't expecting it.[/list]

Since this problem of yours sounds like a repeatable event on your machine, I would be interested to see you list the steps you take to get this anomaly to occur. Please be as specific as possible, (what brush you pick up etc.).

Athena

(as long as this is the test forum, I'm going to test putting a demo picture up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clonetrace1.JPG 
Views:	438 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	9875  
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

The green pattern you are getting is likely the default "overlapping waves" pattern. It shows up automatically when you have "clone color" checked in your art materials/colors palette and you DO NOT have a clone source selected (under File menu-Clone Source). There should be a check mark next to the name of the file you want to use as a source image. ΓΌ
    IP