Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bring back the move button to layers gallery

I must admit that I miss the shortcut buttons to move to layer in front or layer behind. The object gallery is a big improvement over the old layer gallery but when one small section of one layer contains as many objects as the attached image its difficult to find a particular object and then drag it to a new position/layer quickly sometimes. Simply selecting it and moving it with a shortcut as required would be easier on many occasions when drawing and would simply be another way of moving objects when needed.
    Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	67857  

Soquilli,
    it may look easy if you have just one object or two per layer as in your example.
    But even in that case you canīt move more than one object at once to another layer.

If you do something more complex with several pages and objects things are quite diferent and not so easy. Hereīs a link to an image of the object gallery for the mercedes-benz illustration iīve done. Note that only two layers are open.

Since you have to find the object there to be able to right click on it and move it to the current layer you can imagine the trouble. Things get worst if you forget to change the layer you want to move the object to first. You will have to find and select the object again. If you were working not with just one but several objects at the same time, you will have to reselect all again... this isnīt smooth at all.

Hi Miguel,

I don't really see your point. I use many layers and many objects on layers most of the time.

When creating a video it is easier for people to see things when there are fewer objects involved.

See the attached for one example of a layer with 243 objects. I did have to move some of those from other layers and other objects from that layer to others.

Name:	object-gallery-shapes.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	67864  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill, one problem is that you cannot move a multiple object selection from a layer to another.

Marc

Not directly within the Object Gallery ( or Layer Gallery in older versions).

You need to select the objects in the work area and either cut or copy to the clipboard, use the Gallery to select a target layer then paste or paste in place.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

In version 4 and older you could not select individual objects with the Gallery. You had to select in the work area then use the Gallery to select a layer.

In Xtreme 5.1 you still cannot select individual objects within the Object Gallery as can be done in the Pro version.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The option for a "move to current layer" short-cut key might be helpful.

I second Miguels and Allison's comments.

And, and I hate to admit it, but Corels method of selecting objects in the drawing window and dragging them off onto a layer name in the layer gallery works great; unfortunately, it would probably mean a significant recoding in Xara to accomplish.

Having a context (right-click) menu option available and allowing a user-defined shortcut for the move to default layer I think would be relatively easy to implement.
    Last edited by jclements; 09 December 2009 at 06:58 AM.

Sorry, Derek, when I read your post in November, I meant to point out that there are still icons you can use on the Button Palette. I don't use them as much as I used to because ensuring that I've got the correct layer open is so much more visually complicated. AFAICT, the buttons work fine.

Name:	button palette move icons 1209.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	68258  

Thanks from me for that Allison, very useful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...