Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bring back the move button to layers gallery

Please bring the move button (found in XX4) on the layers gallery back!
    As i noted in other posts, moving items between layers in XX5 is a step back compared to XX4. It consumes much more time, implies to search around the object we want to move in the layers gallery...itīs a pain...really.

Miguel B.

Default Re: Bring back the move button to layers gallery

Hi Miguel,

These might help:

If you select the object to move, go to the Object Gallery, use Find. The Object appears, right click on it and select move to current layer. The only problem is that the 'current layer' must be selected before using this method; changing the layer after the object selection deselects the object.

Control + Shift + U to move object to layer in front.
    Control + Shift + D to move object to layer behind.
    ~Fred

Fred,
    Thank you for your reply. I didnīt know about the find button bit!!! It doesnīt solve the problem but at least i donīt have to search for the object in the layers gallery anymore Thank you so much for the tip!

Maybe the developers can add the "move to the current layer" entry to the right-click menu when we click on an object in the canvas. It would speed things up a little.

Best regards,
    Miguel B.
    Last edited by MEB; 24 November 2009 at 11:58 PM.

Miguel,

You're welcome! I forgot to mention the quickest way I use is to cut the object I want to move, set the target layer as current in the Object Gallery, and then Edit>Paste in Place (Shift + Control + V).

HTH
    Regards,
    ~Fred

Gosh I think sometimes people moan for the sake of it and I do apologise if you think I am being rude here. We now have a proper layers Gallery where it is so simple to move objects. Not only can we see what we are moving and where it is stack in that layer we can drag the whole layer, sub section of that layer or even a single object and this is done using a graphical representation of the layered objects. Gone are the days of finger hopping (Ctrl+Shift+V) and the to position it with (Ctrl+Shift +B/F) to get the moved object to the position that we want it to now where we just drag with the mouse. Now I even checked back to see if you had Pro 5 and you have so what is the problem there is a good possibility that I have picked this thread up the wrong way but I reread the threads again and I can't see my misinterpretation of your request or am I wrong it does happen.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Albacore, no offense taken.
    Iīm bringing this to attention because iīve noted that the move operations have become more complicated since version 4. Iīm glad that theyīve improved the layers gallery. Itīs certainly one of the best improvements Xara has made recently to the program. And iīm happy with it.

Now to the point:
    This is how i move an object in XX4 to another layer:
    I select the object in the canvas, select the layer i want to move it to, and click the move button.

In XX5 the same procedure:
    I select the object in the canvas, select the layer i want to move it to and 1st problem: the object becomes deselected (this didnīt happen in version 4). So i (re)select the object again and 2nd problem: thereīs no move button anymore, so i have to search for the object in the layers gallery (which could take some time depending on the number of layers and objects) to finally right-click the objectīs name in the layers gallery and select "move to current layer".

Since i do this operation several times when i work it becomes painfull. I was spending too much time trying to locate the objects in the layers gallery (now i know the Find button does the trick) and reselecting the object after changing the layer.

At least one behavior is still different from the previous XX4 version. When you have an object selected, it becomes deselected if you change the layer. This may look just a little detail but it delays the move operations between layers a little bit because you have to reselect the object. Most of the time i forget i must change the current layer first before starting the move operation and this wasnīt a requisite in version 4.

Hope this clarifies things a little. Iīm only posting this stuff because i care to have an even better program. Not to moan someone. Maybe iīm being picky, in any case this is just a suggestion and nothing more.

Miguel B.
    Last edited by MEB; 25 November 2009 at 10:56 AM.

It is good to learn something new every day.

I never noticed the Move button in the Layer Gallery.

I always used Cut from existing layer and Paste in Place on another layer or simply paste if the position wasn't important.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There should be an icon representing selected objects in a layer.
    Dragging this icon to another layer would move selected objects accordingly.

Marc

The Object Gallery in Xtreme Pro 5.1 allows moving of objects between layers easily.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

While I agree with Albacore that there have been big improvements in the former Layers gallery, I also agree with Miguel that some routine operations have become ridiculously complex.

I knew about the Move button, but I rarely used it in versions prior to XXP5. As Miguel says, it was very simple to cut the object, select the new layer and paste it in place. It made no difference if you were moving a single object or multiple objects from multiple layers. It worked just as elegantly either way.

Now, not so much. At the single object level, it's about the same, except that it often feels more complicated because you have to digest a lot more visual data to do it — thanks to the wealth of information now presented in the OG, the far right positions of the Eye and Lock icons, and the fact that the blue highlight bar now means "currently selected element", not "current layer". (The highlight bar may not be anywhere near the current layer.)

As Albacore and Soquili note, moving objects from layer to layer can be fairly easy in XXP5, thanks to drag&drop. As Miguel says, it may not be quite so smooth when you have to pay specific attention to where the highlight bar and the Current Layer icon are.