Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to xref a menu.htm file into webpages?

I have 6 pages with 6 menu buttons in my website and need to add two more pages (and buttons).

I decided to make my job easier for the future and create one menu.htm file with all the menu buttons and using placeholders on all 8 pages "xref" this menu.htm file into these pages.

In the future if i have to change anything in the menu (adding more buttons, or replacing the whole menu bar) I just have to modify the menu.htm file once, and that will take care of all menu bars on the whole website.

I tried to use iframe coding in the placeholder, but the problem is that if I click on any menu button it switches to the right webpage but INSIDE the frame of the menu bar (997pix X 29pix) instead of the webpage itself.

Can someone point me to the right direction in this dilemma?

Here is the html code of the placeholder for the menu bar:

===============================
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Menu Bar</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <iframe src=menu.htm width="997" height="29" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0px" marginwidth="0px">
    <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
    </iframe>
    </body>
    </html>
    ===============================

George

Default Re: How to xref a menu.htm file into webpages?

When you add links to your buttons, on the Link tab of the Web Properties dialog, there is a dropdown list called "Open link in". Select "Same window (_top)" option.
    John.

Question Re: How to xref a menu.htm file into webpages?

John,
    Thank you for the solution, in my case the "Same window (_top)" option did the same thing but the option "Parent frame (_parent)" fixed the problem.

Now, the menu works as it supposed to, the only problem is, that if I hover the mouse over any of the menu button, the mouseover shade of the button stays on after the mouse moved away from that button, it stays on until I hover over another menu button, as a result the menu button with the highlight does not reflect which page is the current one but it reflects which button the mouse hovered over the last time.

What is really strange is that the menu bar by itself works fine, meaning if you open the file menu.htm by itself in the browser instead of from within the pages of the website, the mouseover shade goes off immediately after you moved the mouse pointer away from any menu button.

What can cause this problem?

George