Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menus

Default Menus

I was looking at Vista Buttons and liked their dropdown menus. Can this be incorporated into Web Designer? If so, do you have to cut and paste the script on each page in the web site?

Sheila

Default Re: Menus

Support for third party software should be sought from the developers of that software Sheila because unless someone reading already uses VM and is familiar with it, you are asking that a member at TG downloads the trial of VM, experiments with it and then let's you know how to use it with Web Designer?

Why not try yourself and let us know how you get on and whether it is in fact much simpler than creating a menu system within Web Designer itself using tools available in the software (something that you have had a great deal of help with at TalkGraphics over the months

For sure, any DHTML menu from any menus software can be used with Web Designer. Once the code is placed (javascript in a placeholder named <head> and the object in a placeholder inside the page for positionning it), one can duplicate this page as a ground page or template, for the rest of the website.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand from Vista Buttons I would have to change the code on all the pages. I don't know if Web Designer would repeat all of the code from the first page to 50 other pages. Also, my web site has lots of videos and links. Does Web Designer work well with lots and lots of links, photos and many many videos.

Thanks,

All depends on the nature of the site we're talking about. If this is a site built with a Xara product, which means one has a file .web or .xar, one can import it in Web Designer and use the Repeating Object function to make the change instantly into all the pages of the website in a few clicks. If this is a preexisting website not built with Xara, it will be difficult to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ab29 View Post
    If this is a preexisting website not built with Xara, it will be difficult to do that.
    Actually more than difficult, impossible since Web Designer and Xtreme are not HTML editors and cannot import html pages.
    Because this is a Web Designer/Xtreme forum we must discuss solutions which are relevant to working in those applications.
    As already mentioned, external scripts can be used in either program by way of placeholders and the use of repeating objects makes it simple to have such a placeholder (containing the menu script) update to all pages in the .web or .xar file.

Please search the forums for threads discussing placeholders and repeating objects - this saves time and prevents multiple threads going over the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Actually more than difficult, impossible since Web Designer and Xtreme are not HTML editors and cannot import html pages.
    In the "import" menu, one can find the file type .html among plenty others. It may be an error.

Have you tried this before you posted your reply ?

Thres no errors or mistakes. There is HTML import option. But it is intended only to batch import all the images present on the page. No layout information or text is imported.
    John.

Well, what i mean by "it may be an error", is that it can induce a customer in error. While trying the evaluation version, one may think, without testing it, that it can import HTML, because it is in the import menu. That's what i was trying to say.