Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey guys & gals, a friend of my Dad's was looking for a logo for his son's baseball team, so my dad wanted to know if I'd be able to get something out for him. Been really busy because of school, so I havn't had time, but had a little time on my hands yesterday now school's pretty much done for the fall term.
    Anyway, what he said he was thinking was a baseball going down tracks and this is what I came up with. This kind of style is sort of hard for me, I have trouble with cartoonish caricatures, so it was a nice excercise for me.

Lately I havn't been using xara at all because an extended piece I'm working on now is on a Mac, so it's forced me out of my element to learn new tools, techniques and possibilities. But this charity work let me have some play-time with it!
    let me know what you think, it's off to the coach for revision/approval, so it may or may not be modified, but feel free to critique!
    take care
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t3.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	12027  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Hey guys & gals, a friend of my Dad's was looking for a logo for his son's baseball team, so my dad wanted to know if I'd be able to get something out for him. Been really busy because of school, so I havn't had time, but had a little time on my hands yesterday now school's pretty much done for the fall term.
    Anyway, what he said he was thinking was a baseball going down tracks and this is what I came up with. This kind of style is sort of hard for me, I have trouble with cartoonish caricatures, so it was a nice excercise for me.

Lately I havn't been using xara at all because an extended piece I'm working on now is on a Mac, so it's forced me out of my element to learn new tools, techniques and possibilities. But this charity work let me have some play-time with it!
    let me know what you think, it's off to the coach for revision/approval, so it may or may not be modified, but feel free to critique!
    take care
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Well I hope your doing good in school its nice to see a post from you. Anyways. I like the logo, nice since you said you cant do caricatures to well. Perhaps you can add some motion to the wheels instead of just the smoke. Looks good though!
    Rian

Hi Steve,
    Nice to hear from you ... hope design school is treating you well. I like the logo ... I could see it on a T-shirt.

BTW ... I took a look at your "Grand Space Opera Challenge Entry" ... looks interesting, can't wait to see it finished.

-Ed.

Hello Steve,

The rails look closer to I beams than rails. They also are place on ties which are on both sides of the rails.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve,
    Great to hear from you. I really like your logo.

Couple of thoughts... How about making the wheel spokes "baseball bats" and adding "home plate" to just in front of the baseball?

Keep in touch.

Good looking logo Steve, I like it alot.
    Hope school is all you were hoping for and more.
    Have a great Christmas and New Years.
    tim

Steve,

Good to see you again! Hope school is treating you well, and that you are having fun!

I think it's a cool idea for a logo. Zee gave some fun ideas to play around with (I especially like the three baseball bats idea...) Perhaps you should try a version with a shorter rail section (especially if incorporating a home plate) as there is quite a bit of empty space on the sides? Shortening the rail would make the logo more "compact."

It could also be interesting to see the stitches fattened up just a tad, and perhaps make fewer of them at the "forehead." It's also a bit tricky to see what's going on with the bottom stiches. The top arch of the stiches doesn't flow as nicely as the bottom one - fine tune (play around with) it a little bit.

The last "s" I find is not visible enough.

Overall I think it will be a great logo! Very nicely done (as always!)

Happy Holidays!

Thanks all for the kind words, unfortunately, I'm stuck in Illinois for at least another day (my friend and I were supposed to head back yesterday) because there's some heavy snow storms in between here and home... so I'm at my friends house here hoping for good weather tomorrow so we can make it home by christmas eve! Anyway, all that to say, won't be able to work on the logo for a little bit with all your suggestions

Rian, I will have to play around to see if I can get any motion in the wheels while maintaining crisp black & white shapes

Ed, it was basically made for T-shirts, but I'm sure they'll find other ways to use it.
    And I hope I have enough time to finish the challenge, but even if I don't, I'm learning a ton!

John, you're totally right and I hadn't thought about that, I'll definitely have to take a look at that, thank you

Zee, I don't want to overdo it too much, the viewer can see that it's a baseball logo easily simply because of the character. adding all those elements might seem like I was searching to find a place just to add them, not because they were vitally important to the design or the message. But I might toy around with using a home plate at the end of the track, that gave me some new imagery. thanks a lot for the ideas!

Tim, thanks a lot, 1st semester wasn't all I had hoped for, but hopefully with the ability to choose more select classes it will be more profitable in the second semester

Risto, you've mentioned a lot of issues I have also noticed but wasn't sure about them, but with someone else thinking the same thing, I'll have to address those as well! The stitches were the hardest part, finding a way to create and modify the blend so the shape and density changed at the right spots, and to get the correct curvature to imply tense eye-brows. I'll have to go in and hand edit each of them, because I thought they were to thin as well. I'll also uncover the S a bit more

thanks all so much for your input, I really appreciate them all! take care, and I'll update whenever I become un-stranded in IL!
    take care
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-