Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone know if Fractal Design Painter 5.0.3 can be installed & used on a Windows 2000 platform or do I HAVE to upgrade to Corel Painter 6 to do so? At $200 for the Painter 6 upgrade it would help if I could buy the upgrade later on.
    (U.S.$1.00= Jamaican $45.00) Now you know why!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

Does anyone know if Fractal Design Painter 5.0.3 can be installed & used on a Windows 2000 platform or do I HAVE to upgrade to Corel Painter 6 to do so? At $200 for the Painter 6 upgrade it would help if I could buy the upgrade later on.
    (U.S.$1.00= Jamaican $45.00) Now you know why!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    IP

95'

if it means anything, i'm not sure if painter 6.1 is even compatible with windows 2000. 2k is a problematic os. there is much work to be done on it yet. i hope the software issues aren't as bad when osx comes out.

oh, welcome to the forum !

stecyk66
    IP

I've just moved to Win2K and have installed Painter 5.0.1 which appears to work OK. I haven't yet upgraded to 5.0.3 which I have somewhere on a download CD. I have a heap of software to re-install so unfortunately finding the 5.0.3 upgrade is not a priority at the moment. When I find and install it I'll let you know how things pan out.

TTFN

Roger
    IP

Thanks for the welcome.

Also thanks for the replies. I will check back to hear how it went for you Roger. Win 2000 is much more stable for me than Win 98 so far....just this problem of finding the compatible software [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

I have Painter 4. 5.03, 5.5 and 6.1 working
    on 2000 Pro. The only problem I have noticed
    is saved JPG's in 6.1 won't open in 4. IMHO if
    you can afford it upgrade because there are so many new features to enjoy. I have not had a OS
    crash since I upgraded from 98SE to 2000 Pro. It
    is very stable.

Richard
    IP

rap

interesting to find you here. the corel ng is all rearranged now and i found myself making the first post on the painter ng. i'm happy to hear you are having success with p 6.1 and 2000. a friend of mine installed the 2000 sp1 patch and is now unable to launch painter 6 at all. even after multiple uninstalls/reinstalls he continues to get either a no tiles error or a missing painter.set file error right after launch. do you have any suggestions as to what the problem is or how it could be resolved? thx

stecyk66 s
    IP

Ok...thanks.
    Where can I get Painter 5.5 online? I can't find it at Metacreations or Corel's site.
    IP

Go to http://www.gardenhose.com and buy Jungle3D or Jungle 2D for about $80.00 and you'll get the PCFormat Magazine version of Painter 5.5.

Someone at Corel Customer Support told me that version can be upgraded to Painter 6.. all that's needed is a serial number and/or proof of purchase. You'll get a generic serial number I've been told.. and he said that's ok.. just give them the serial number. I posted a message a while back with details about this. If I can find it, I'll edit this message to tell you where it is.

Pause..

Back again..

OK.. here's page URL where you'll find my message with details on the upgrade from PCFormat Painter 5.5 to Painter 6:

http://i-us.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?...11&m=303197017

If that link doesn't work, it's Tom Holt's thread titled "upgrade UK PCFormat Painter 5.5"

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on January 29, 2001 at 11:13 PM.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

It looks like I'm a bit late with the info on 5.0.3 working on Win2000 but I only just located the CD with the 5.0.3 upgrade patch. Only done a few doodles at the moment but it appears that there are no immediate problems.
    Anybody know of a program that will enable me to catalogue my backup CDs? It was a pain searching through all the disks to find UGs for all my new installs.

Cheers

Roger
    IP