Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best way to Display Tutorials

I have a request that may have been answered in the past and I am just missing it.
    I have Xara Extreme 5 and enjoy doing the tutorials to gain insight into all of the expertise that is provided.

I usually download the workbooks and then go back and forth between the Xara program and the lesson. In other words, read the instruction go back to Xara and complete the instruction--go back to the instruction, etc. At times I have printed out the tutorial.

Ok, it works but there has got to be a better way.

I tried splitting the screen -- one half Xara and one half tutorial but can't get both the same size with all of the data from each screen in view.

I know I could invest in another monitor but I am hoping someone out there has figured out a better way to do this with one screen.

How do some of you out there solve this dilemma? Ideas please!

Thanks, Ron

Running Windows XP HP Pentium 3.00 GHZ -- 3.25 GB Ram

Default Re: Best way to Display Tutorials

Aside from alt-tabbing the only real solution is as you've indicated - run dual-monitors, you'll wonder why you waited so long

I would have to agree that if you want to be able to view two different things at once then the best way would be to have 2 monitors. Or one really big monitor with a high resolution.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Thanks for the prompt replies---I guess a second monitor is in order!

Ron

I dunno about a second monitor. You could try printing the tutorials out.

For the longer ones you might have to highlight a screens' worth at a time and then print selection.

Save a tree and get a dual monitor setup (it's a lot tidier too)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twin-philips-240PW9.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	67645

I grew tired of the same problem and I got a dual monitor set-up. Its the only way to go. One more thing is to make sure you get a tilt monitor so you can change the monitor to portrait view for page viewing. That helps out a lot!

The way I use to do it, as most bits of the tutorial you can do quite easily, was on the bits where Gary is giving the difficult instructions, like colour values, I copied and pasted the bitmap into XPro. Gary always as well as the text instruction gives the info graphically which I made use of.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I use Desk Pins to keep the tutorial page on top. Have to reduce the size of the tut's window of course, but you can move it around as needed. Works well with the layout of Gary's tuts!
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Save a tree and get a dual monitor setup (it's a lot tidier too)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twin-philips-240PW9.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	67645
    Tidier it may be, but do you really believe that a second monitor is better for the ecology than a ream of A4 paper and some ink for some tutorial printing? Not forgetting the cost!
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.