Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have needed a good graphics package for a long time without being able to afford one. Have been aware of Xara for about 2 years but funds were really tight. Will soon have funds and want XaraX so bad I can taste it!!!

Where do we list wishes for "improvements"? I want a much simpler way to crop photos - something similar to the crop feature in PowerPoint would be nice. Having to create a rectangle, make it partially transparent so I can see my image, resize it, move it back yada yada yada is too may steps just to crop out a scanned photo to put it on the web.

Am I missing a simpler way to do this?

Thanks all and hope to have a properly purchased copy in my hands SOON!!!

I have needed a good graphics package for a long time without being able to afford one. Have been aware of Xara for about 2 years but funds were really tight. Will soon have funds and want XaraX so bad I can taste it!!!

Where do we list wishes for "improvements"? I want a much simpler way to crop photos - something similar to the crop feature in PowerPoint would be nice. Having to create a rectangle, make it partially transparent so I can see my image, resize it, move it back yada yada yada is too may steps just to crop out a scanned photo to put it on the web.

Am I missing a simpler way to do this?

Thanks all and hope to have a properly purchased copy in my hands SOON!!!

Here's how I do it Paul. I think it's much easier and more versatile than Powerpoint.

1) create rectangle (or any other closed shape)
    2) click no fill (the white hatched box to left of colour bar)
    3) position and size rectangle over desired crop area (unlike Powerpoint you can pick any part of the image with equal facility)
    4) shift click on image (rectangle is already selected)
    5) press Ctrl 3

Viola!

Tom

-Import photo
    -Arrange->Convert to editable shapes
    -Edit the path in the shape editor tool to define the exact crop shape, create curves where necessary by selecting two points and converting to curves etc

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Remember that I said I was familiar with XaraX but I didn't claim to be expert!!!

I see a lot of the things in the gallery and realize how far I have to go!!!

Tom, your intersect method is easy and works fine for the rectangular shape I had in mind.

Mark, I managed to miss the shape editor method and will keep this in mind for non-linear methods.

Thanks both for the quick response and as I said I have a lot to learn but can't wait to get the full product in my hands!!!

Thanks again.

Paul [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]