Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Default Re: Segmented circles..

That's what my post #46 does. No repeating necessary. Unless i'm misunderstanding.

You could also use blend in this situation.

Make your smallest and largest circles the way you want and blend the middles.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Bobby, #46 was close, though the centres are filled (very close). The "best solution" still involves a bit of fiddling, even though the contour shapes are perfectly placed, they can't be used directly (boo).

In case anyone is curious - I'm using the bands in Flash to trigger behaviours as the mouse moves over the rings. The rings need to be sized and positioned precisely because they sit over my segmented rings and are invisible!

I've attached my xar file.

The centers of the circles will not be filled if you start with a circle with a transparent center and go from there.

You've kicked my problem solving brain into overdrive trying to figure out why you think this can't be done this way

Let me know if this doesn't work and why and I WILL find a way that we can do it.

(Cause I kinda NEED to)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

It's only in the last few posts I'd thought about "empty" circles. This is probably the best of the fiddly solutions. I've seen so many stabs at this now my head is dizzy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paul_circles.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	67990  

If you set the line width when you make the circle it will carry over when you contour. saves a step.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by dogbertbh View Post
    If you set the line width when you make the circle it will carry over when you contour. saves a step.
    Good point, though in my case I was using a contoured circle as my background pattern on another layer and I set my centreless circle to be the size of the middle of the templates outer circle. Then I set the line thickness to match the outer circle size. I then contour my circle to match the bands on my template. This causes the line widths to be changed proportionally to match the reducing contour size as it goes towards the centre, so I then have to pick the centre contour to reset the line size.

I don't think you can avoid doing that because applying the contour results in proportionally sized line widths.

If you change the line size after you contour, the lines with get proportionally smaller.

If you change the line size BEFORE you contour, they stay the same when you contour.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by dogbertbh View Post
    If you change the line size after you contour, the lines with get proportionally smaller.

If you change the line size BEFORE you contour, they stay the same when you contour.
    You are absolutely right!