Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Couldn't wait for The Official Guide - Completed Bonus Chapter 14

Thanks for the prompt reply. I went on the Xara site and noticed they were having a one week sale going on till Nov 16 so I upgraded to Pro 5. Now I should be good to go for everything! Greeeeeeat...
    IP

Hi InfoCentral—

If you work with dozens and dozens of shapes, you'll love the new Object gallery! It makes finding shapes even easier than naming them.

-g-
    IP

I just downloaded all, and now I will work with it.
    I love the extra's, but I get a 404 when I try the extra typefaces.
    It says it is from Gary's harddrive, but is that literally? Because then
    he might not be connected.

But a lot of stuff to work with, and as soon as the book hits bol.com
    (that is like our national "amazone" ) I'll buy it. otherwise it would
    be too expensive since I don`t have a creditcard anymore.(otherwise
    I would have ordered it from amazone.
    Thank the creditcard company for that who charged me a 20 euro fine
    for a 6 euro overdraft, I told them where they could 'store' their
    creditcard, I think it was a place where the sun doesn`t shine )
    Last edited by ankhor; 13 November 2009 at 10:17 AM.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Default The link is fixed now :)

Hi Ankhor—

Thanks for pointing out the broken link. It works now, sorry!

I've also put up a new typeface, all Art Nouveau in theme

Bouton Nouveau Ornaments II

I created the typeface entirely in Xara and then used Font Lab to code it together. It was invaluable to use the Shape Editor tool because Art Nouveau curves have to be absolutely perfect or the design doesn't work. My resources were online and from a very old reproduction of a catalog.

My Best,

Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nouveau_thumb.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	67591  
    IP

You used Font Lab Studio? I just looked that program up and its $650..geeeesh.
    IP

Default FontLab version 3

No, InfoCentral, I own a copy of version 3, several years old but still can write OpenType.

Pyrus Software changed things around over the years, making the Studio version impractical to buy/use. I think my copy was $129 Way Back When.

But you tell me after using some of the fonts that the code isn't clean! I used to use CorelDraw for font-making, but its internal feature hasn't kept pace with the times.

My Best,

Gare
    IP

Thanks for the tiles and the free fonts Gare By coincidence, I was doodling last night with the add shapes/break shapes process, is that the way you get some of the patterns for Bouton Nouveau? Mine are a lot simpler mind!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	break_shapes.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	67596  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Default Boolean operations: yes!

Some of the characters in the Bouton Nouveau typeface were created using the Arrange>Combine Shapes>Intersection and Subtract commands, but most of it was just hard work, some manual tracing, and a lot of use of the Shape Editor. Occaonally I converted a line to a shape via the Arrange menu.

Your design is very nice! Would you like to collaborate and offer the group a typeface based on your designs? I'll do the coding, send me a PM if you're interested.

One of the things I stress in the Official Guide is that adding, subtracting, intersecting—these are all called Boolean operations—is a very fast way to get where you want to go with intricate shapes.

I suggest the you choose Window>Control Bars, and then check the Arrange Bar. Then dock it to the top next to the Standard Bar. Alternatively, you can check the Button Palette and then hold Alt and drag the buttoins you want to the Tool bar or the Standard bar.

This makes shape modification a lot faster than memorizing the shortcuts or digging through the Arrange menu.

IMO, or course!

My Best,

Gare
    IP

I love that stuff out of that time period, art nouveau/deco.
    BBC3 has a beautifull series running now about art deco, on
    buildings/ trains etc. I missed some, but I hope they rerun them,
    they tell all about the history and such, very interesting.
    (and a beautifull artform, I think I will practice more of that kinda art
    for a while)
    And thanks for fixing it, I will download the rest immediately now.

And I ordered the book, 33,96 Euro with postage.
    Last edited by ankhor; 14 November 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Hey, thanks for potentially being another satisfied reader!

Art Nouveau, especially as practiced by Alfons Mucha, enjoyed some cross-pollination from the Arts & Crafts movement, with a touch of Art Deco...the periods overlapped as did the artists.

The American Arts & Crafts movement was different than the European; we were influenced a lot by Native American artwork. Rennie Mackintosh, the Scottish A&C designer, took and gave somewhat to/with Art Nouveau, I feel.

If you want some genuine resource material for Xara artwork and the Art Nouveau style, sign up for Dover's weekly newsletter. There'a a lot of free period designs you can download and use it for a basis in your own work.

free clipart from Dover publications

My Best,

Gary
    IP