Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Linking to Web Designer site

Please help!
    I have recently uploaded a new site for my wife's business using Web Designer. The site seems to work fine but there is one problem. When other sites link to mine my index page only works properly if it is able to open in a new full page window. If it is forced to open in a small box window it will not work properly until it is refreshed. Does anyone know why this is? The site address is www.orchidoriginals.co.uk.
    I would be very grateful for any assistance - it's driving me mad!

Default Re: Linking to Web Designer site

Hello and welcome to TG Damian. I can't see anything wrong with your home page. It opens fine every time. I've deleted my cache several times and tried it several times but it's just fine every time. Can you explain the problem in more detail. One thing that may cause this is that the link viewer has previewed the site at an earlier time and you've subsequently amended the swf file. The swf file in this case would be loaded from their computer cache rather than renewing it afresh from the host server.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the quick reply! Very impressive!! When you checked my site did you click on the link in my last post? When I do that my index page appears in a new window but is off to the right hand side of the screen. Then the click to enter site link just changes colour on mouse over but does not actually link to the next page. On refresh all is fine. This happens on my desktop, laptop and netbook. If I just type the site address into the address bar the site works straight away - it only seems to misbehave when linked to.

Another issue with your site is your use of High Tower Text. This is not a websafe font and it may look completely different on a visitor without this font installed.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Damian, try deleteing your cache (temporary internet files) and try again. I visited via the link in post 1.
    Egg

Thanks for the tip about websafe fonts - I am in the process of changing it all to Georgia as we speak. Have deleted my cache several times on all machines and am still having to refresh the index page before the link will work. Could it be a local issue with my internet connection?

Then I'm at a loss to know the reason your having issues with it. What browser are you using? Have you tried it in an alternative browser?
    Egg

I am using the ever-glitchy IE8. Thanks for your help.

Aha! I've just realised that the index page works fine in the new window from the link in post 1 and that the site runs properly UNTIL the page is maximised! That's when it goes to the side and needs to be refreshed. Still can't seem to fix it though...

I can't replicate that in IE either. Very strange.
    Egg