Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CorelDRAW - Coloring my hat

Hi everybody, I am newbie here (and in coreldraw as well) and this will probably be very stupid question, but I can't seem to find any way to color my hat that i drew in coreldraw11...
    I really don't know what I am doing wrong, i made sure that there are no gaps between junctions of lines, but still I can't fill it with any color...

I have uploaded my file, so you can take a closer look: Graphic2.cdr

It is just a simple magician hat, being part of a business card that I am required to make for my school project. It's really depressing, i wanted to make the head of a rabbit too, sticking out from the hat, and now i can't even make a simple hat!
    IP

Default Re: CorelDRAW - Coloring my hat

Welcome to TG Forums myrddin,

Rather than post URLs to file sharing sites which force our members to tolerate tedious countdowns and horrid advertising, please just attached your files to your post via this forums own attachment manager.

If you are not sure how to do this, please review our Read the FAQs forum for simple instructions.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=40531

For the benefit of others, I have attached your Corel Draw file (zipped) to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Welcome to TalkGraphics myrddin.

It appears that your lines are just that, lines. they are not connected and don't form a closed shape. Hence, your inability to color the 'shape' you 'see'. That's about all I can tell you as my CorelDRAW skills are as frustrating as they are limited.

You may want to grab the CorelDRAW manual and give the beginning chapters a quick read to get you up to speed a little quicker. Or... there's a bunch of introductory tutorials available on You-Tube and other sites if you do a search.

Good luck,
    Harry
    IP

Weld your lines together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	67061  
    Last edited by JimS; 25 October 2009 at 10:55 PM.
    IP

@sledger: Sorry for that, I was in a hurry and didn't read FAQ, thanks for reattaching it!

@HayTay: Thanks, you comment really helped me because then I knew what is wrong, and then I managed to close the lines by going to arrange->close path.

@JimS: It's Thumper the rabbit!!

Ok, I have nearly finished now, just one more question: when i click on a star shape it is by default star with 4 sides, but I need more than 4 sides, so how do I change the number of sides?

And here it is now:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Y'elcome, myrddin. I'm glad I could help you out. Maybe with your questions I'll learn how to use the CorelDRAW software that I've had for a long while but never use.

As to your latest question...

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words, more or less...

I hope this helps,
    Harry

Name:	Corel Star Points.gif 
Views:	172 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	67093  
    IP

Hm, it seems that I don't have this toolbar... Maybe it's because of differences in versions (I have CorelDraw 11), but anyways I found what I needed in the "predefined shapes" button, so we can say it's the problem solved.
    I have finished at last my visit card, without your help I would probably still searching way to color my hat

Cheers!
    IP

Hi,

I've had similar problems and I'm still not able to get the result like JimS. When I weld the lines (or use arrange-> close path) and fill the object I get something different - see picture.

grtz

Name:	Graphic2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	67401  
    IP

I get the same results as you grtz when welding the entire thing. Only way I could figure out was was Close Path --> "Closest nodes with straight lines" on the 3 bottom lines, then send to back and fill. Then manually drew an ellipse to fill the "brim" and also send to back and fill, along with outer ring.

Name:	hat.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	67407  
    IP