Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Specific Publishing Info

I feel certain you must have had this request many times already. But I am really TIRED of publishing a website to the wrong server!!

It just seems really lame to have to to change the publishing info as you switch back and forth working on different websites. Since the other stuff in web properties is web specific, why isn't publishing?

Thanks.

Thumbs up Re: Web Specific Publishing Info

Totally agree.

Default Re: Web Specific Publishing Info

Yes, we are aware of this requirement and working to improve the publishing approach.
    Thank you.
    John.

I have a about 10 websites in XWD now and I admit I've done this a few times. A temp solution for me has been to paste the ftp info on to the work space, close to the top in a bright yellow box. So far I have been good. To save a step I use the same pw for all my sites.

Tom

simple solution, use a separate FTP client to upload to your sites,
    I have years of work in Dreamweaver and as I convert my old sites to XWD
    I found I had lost many passwords etc..., so have been forced to used DW as a FTP client...

I understand attaching the FTP info to the .web file is a security issue (what happens if someone posts a .web file here and thus grants any downloader access to their server?). What would work almost as well for me is simply the ability to save multiple FTP profiles within XWD. Then all I need to is remember to select the proper server info for the file I'm working on, rather than having to type in all the info each time I change servers.

One idea for attaching to .web: don't attach all the info. Add the profiles that are only saved in XWD itself and allow the .web file to have saved only a pointer to an item in that menu. Now the info is useless to anyone apart from the copy of XWD that created the data, and still you never have to remember which server to use because that .web file auto-picks it for you.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Here's another vote. It's simply human behavior after sweating over a web design/update to lose concentration when uploading the files.

I have moved all of PSM's posts and the replies to a new thread at
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=42118
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update