Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question lines in jpg export

This is weird.....when I do a .jpg export of a Xara file using Xtreme 5 I'm getting one or two white horizintal lines thru image. these are very fine (one pixel wide) and are not continous across image. If I use Xtreme 4 to do the export. no lines..it works fine.....

anybody else seeing this?...a bug ?

Bill

Default Re: lines in jpg export

It's a bit new to X5. You are seeing the anti aliasing effect of part-pixel-rounding.

Make sure you are using whole pixel co-ordinates and whole pixel sizes for the image. (eg: 400pixels rather than 400.03)

If your units are set to pixels, and snapping is turned on, it's much easier.

Hmmmm...thanks for the info...I'll mess around with those settings and see if I can't resolve this. Very annoying since I export all of my work as .jpg or .tiff...

Unhappy Re: lines in jpg export

Quote Originally Posted by billdale View Post
    This is weird.....when I do a .jpg export of a Xara file using Xtreme 5 I'm getting one or two white horizintal lines thru image. these are very fine (one pixel wide) and are not continous across image. If I use Xtreme 4 to do the export. no lines..it works fine.....

anybody else seeing this?...a bug ?

Bill
    This nasty behaviour became a real doorstopper to me, making the new release of Xara an annoyance to use. It becomes visible even if you create an internal bitmap-copy. I wish they would fix it and return to the old export/antialiasing code. It's not the first post complaining about, isn't it ? I used to create my game-textures with Xara, but now it's a little awkward. SO FIX IT, NOW. It's the second time i upgraded my Xara package after a new release, maybe it was the last time then.

lo-tekk I can understand your disappointment but do not understand your need to post. The members and moderators here at Talkgraphics are not Xara staff. I'm not sure how many posts are actually viewed by anyone at Xara.

Making a statement such as "SO FIX IT, NOW." is very aggressive and serves absolutely no purpose because the readers cannot help you in any way.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The Xara community is one of the great strengths of Xara products, providing independent support, inspiration and encouragement to users of all Xara products. Here are some of the best resources available.
    Since this is the only officially announced forum, i was in high hope that from time to time the staff would look around here. I did not intend to offend any of the forum-members or moderators a.s.f. I actually found the solution in the support section. But that does not resolve the problem. It only cures the symptoms (partly).

Unhappy Re: lines in jpg export

I have to add my 0.02p worth here. I too have been experiencing the same issues with the sub pixel white line appearing in my exported illustrations (PNG).

I did a test by exporting an image twice after playing about with the DPI settings (200dpi) and as you can see from the attached images the line appears in a different place even though the export is from the same source file.

If I wasn't exporting for print then I could probably get away with brushing this off by saving at screen res, but unfortunately I have to spend time moving/rescaling/exporting until the sub pixel line is no longer an issue before submitting the final image to the client.

This bug coupled with the Quad Core slow down/freeze issue really throws a fly in the ointment on what is one the of best illustration programs out there and one I absolutely love to use.

I soooo look forward to the next update which I pray will see these problems fixed.

-Stoo-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ExportError1.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	67601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ExportError2.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	67602  

Am I to believe that, if I work in cm units, and the artwork as defined in cms does not match up to whole pixels, I run the risk of part-pixel-rounding lines when exporting to bitmap?
    Or have I missed something?

If it is so then this is a potentially serious issue, for me at least

MODS: Has this been raised in 'Dear Xara' forum? - If not, does this thread belong there?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve I don't see a 'Dear Xara...' post within the first 5 pages. I think it was brought up within a day or two of version 5 being released.

I will move this thread to the Dear Xara forum just to make sure there is a post about the lines in jpg export.

I also experienced the problem yesterday when exporting an old portrait made in Xara X¹. There was only one line in the exported image but it was very noticable. I opened the file in Xtreme Pro 3.2.4 and exported without any line.

See attached images for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait_Yancy.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	67607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait_Yancy2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	67608  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill

Something I will have to watch out for....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...