Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a bug??

Default Re: Is this a bug??

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    It's not a bug. You can have attributes set to the text object, and to every character separately. If you set both, you have ambiguity and can not predict which set will be used on export.
    Hi Covexer,
    I wasn't trying to set individual characters and the words separately. If that were the case I would agree with you but just why you would want to do that eludes me for the moment. My argument is that you are free - without warning to set the link and pop-up using any of three different methods and there is nothing to later tell you which method you used. Without knowing just how the link was set up leads to real confusion and complexity if and when you want to change the pop-up.
    Regards,

Lack of the warning is not a bug. Though one may consider it a disadvantage or issue. But it was actually designed to work this way.
    Unfortunately, this is not the only ambiguous condition you can get without warning. Layers order, object names just to mention a few.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs24 View Post
    Hi Covexer,
    I wasn't trying to set individual characters and the words separately. If that were the case I would agree with you but just why you would want to do that eludes me for the moment.
    What covoxer wrote was not about individual characters as opposed to words, it was about individual characters (or words) as opposed to the complete text object. For instance, you can set a popup text for the complete text object via method 1 (select via Selector tool). Then, you can set a more specific popup text for just a single word inside the text, and that overrides the more general popup for the complete text object. That does sound like a useful feature to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebs24 View Post
    My argument is that you are free - without warning to set the link and pop-up using any of three different methods and there is nothing to later tell you which method you used.
    Actually, there are only two methods. Applying the popup at text object level (selected via the Selector) or applying at character level (selected by highlighting text). Your second method (which you called "select text object via TextTool") does something completely different: It applies the popup property as a pending change to the caret, so it gets applied to text you subsequently type. If you do not type anything, the change does not have any effect. This is the same as for other text properties.

When you place the caret in a text object the text box is shown with a red outline. That does not mean that the text box is selected. See the status line: it shows "1 text cursor selected".

You can select the text object as such easily in TextTool while there is a caret in a text object by pressing Esc. That removes the caret and/or any character level selection and selects the whole text object as in Selector.

Quote Originally Posted by wuerthne View Post
    When you place the caret in a text object the text box is shown with a red outline. That does not mean that the text box is selected. See the status line: it shows "1 text cursor selected".

You can select the text object as such easily in TextTool while there is a caret in a text object by pressing Esc. That removes the caret and/or any character level selection and selects the whole text object as in Selector.
    My error - there are just two methods BUT, it is very easy to be in the wrong tool and still proceed to set a link and the pop-up text. After you have set the link you then have to remember how it was set if you want to make a change. If you have accidentally created the link from the select tool and then follow the book and use the text tool to make a modification to the pop-up things get VERY confusing. I can understand why someone might need this facility but some sort of warning or indication would help clarify the situation for the majority of users who only need a simple link. In other words, are we being too clever by far???
    Regards,
    Peter