Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Thangka painting

Hi all,
    I recently - about 8 month ago - picked up Thangka painting. Thangkas are tradional Buddhist images, painted on canvas. I am taken lessons with a tradional teacher, who teaches me all about the underlying grids, colours and shading techniques. I do differ in one aspect from the other students in my class: my images are done entirely in Xara (Xtreme).

This is my first completed work. More images can be found at www.digitalthangka.com

Any comments are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amitayus_v1.0_wallpaper_850.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	67091  
    Last edited by Fred vanderZee; 26 October 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: Thangka painting

Very nicely done Fred. What a way to start off with your first thread and first post. Welcome to TalkGraphics. I hope you'll stick around so we can see more of your outstanding work.

The way you've done the clouds is superb. Any hints for the rest of us?

OH, and BTW, what is the rest of the class using to create their Thangka images?

Thanksa lot for sharing your Thangka painting,
    Harry

@Harry
    Thanks for the complinents Clouds are done using several layers of fractal clouds, combined with feathering. Trick is to split up the cloud in several smaller parts, use it in a large scale and move it around until you have the effect you want. I use a shaded fill here and there to make the parts combine better.

The other students use either paint and canvas or pencils and paper. Thangkas are build up in several layers, starting from a sketch and ending with gold paint. I don't use gold paint but simulate gold embroiderie in my drawings. I use that to enhance the 3D effect in the garments as well.
    Have a look at the larger pictures to see the effect.

I love it! Really fantastic style and so well done. I like the clouds too but I also enjoy the amount of detail...very interesting.

If this is Xara, you should post it in the xara gallery too.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

very very nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    I love it! Really fantastic style and so well done. I like the clouds too but I also enjoy the amount of detail...very interesting.

If this is Xara, you should post it in the xara gallery too.
    Ok will post it in the Xara gallery as well. Will add the latest version from the drawing I am working on as well.

It's fantastic work!
    Thank you)