Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to build tab panel

I'm new to using the website creation features. In fact, this will be the first site I've authored. I've been through the tutorial and have tried popup layers attached to a button and several other features. (I should mention that I've used Xtreme for about two years, but only for illustrations.)

My question is: what's a good way to build a simple tab panel? What I mean by that is a panel down on the body of a page that gives the viewer choices like "Product Description", "Specifications" and "Warranty Information". They're so commonly used, I thought it would be a basic element of the feature set. If it is, I haven't found it.

Using layers seems a little awkward -- and I'm concerned that they might cause problems when viewed with different browsers. I suppose I could have each tab call a separate page and just have all the static elements duplicated on each. I just need to convince myself that it's a good way.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Default Re: How to build tab panel

Hi Contours,

What program of Xara are you using? Xtreme4, Xtreme5, XWD?

Also, there are template files that should have something vertically down the side you could adapt to your use.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Xtreme 5

I'll take a closer look at the vertical button panels. I guess I assumed they were for navigating to pages.

Karateed

What program of Xara are you using? Xtreme4, Xtreme5, XWD?
    Users software is no shown in their profile. All new users must fill this in and any current members can complete theirs by editing their profile
    Example, view my profile top right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@ contours

They can also be used for opening a layer or for opening pages in an iFrame (so you don't have to leave the main page)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

@ Newdeist

... an iFrame ... I'll assume that's in the full Web Designer package. I don't find a reference to it in Xtreme 5, but it sounds like it's what I'm seeking.

Hi contours & welcome to TG. iframes are available to be placed in placeholders in both download versions of WD and Xtreme. If your unsure of what an iframe is do a search of the forum and you'll find a lot of threads.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Attached is an example of an iframe in use. Just open the xar file and click preview.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    ... an iFrame ... I'll assume that's in the full Web Designer package.
    Not at all.

An iframe is a standard html element. It is not included or part of any Xara software.
    What you need to understand is that neither XWD or Xtreme are html editors, there is no html internally while you design your site. The html source is only generated when you export the page which is passed through the html filter to create an absolute positioned (css) WYSIWYG version of your graphical design in html format.
    Also to remember is that this generated html is not re-importable back into XWD or Xtreme (because they are not html editors). So make sure that your save the .web or .xar file for later changes/updates.

However, what John and Egg are showing you is that external html snippets like the iframe element (also scripts, flash and animated .gifs) can be included in your design by using what's know as 'placeholders'.
    These placeholders allow you to set aside a 'place' in the design for the html/script/flash/gif and so on then enter the code (iframe string for example) into the edit box of the placeholder object under Web Properties>>Placeholder [tab]

As mentioned by Egg, please do a search of the forum because placeholders have become a very important feature and are discussed very often.

I want to thank each of you who have responded. This is all very encouraging, It sounds like the kind of "good solution" I was hoping for. I have some homework to do, of course, but I feel like you've put me on the right track. I've downloaded the example and will post a response to confirm my results.

Thanks again.