Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plugin loading slowing down program initialization...

Hiya folks...

Using XX5 here.

Was just noticing lately how long XX5 takes to load in and initialize completely. It's a LONG time in comparison. In comparison to what? you ask... In comparison to not using any external plug-ins.

I'm curious to know if there's a reasonable cap on plug-in usage or not?
    And if it's at all possible to get XX to simply 'index' a person's plug-in list/paths and load that... then, if needed, the actual plug-ins can be initialized. I don't always use plug-ins. Is it really necessary to have XX initialize ALL the plug-ins BEFORE the program can be run?

I think this is an important issue to make note of. Because as it is, XX5 takes several minutes to start up and initialize for me. It's starting to annoy me i don't mind saying. Is it just me or is anyone else having an issue with this?

Any thoughts/help on this would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Mark...

Default Re: Plugin loading slowing down program initialization...

HI Mark, I've got XXP5 and it doesn't load live effects until I click on the icon and the 'new' button (I've got loads of 3rd party plug-ins btw). Are you sure it's LE loading causing the delay?
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I confirm this too. The LE's and plugins I setup in the program options are not loaded until I select the plugin icon and the the 'new' button.
    At this point there is a delay which corresponds to the qty of 3rd part plugins I have asked Xtreme to load.
    There is no difference with the time it takes for Xtreme to open in the first place.

Well that's strange then... i'm gonna have to look to see if there's a setting in the page options that makes the app not load plug-ins upon initializing.

Guys i just started XX and it opened in less than 5 seconds... now i understand fully what the issue here is... the app is only pre-initializing plug-ins when it's opening an existing Xara file... i.e. it's simply scanning the file to see if there are any plug-ins that it needs to load to render the contents of the file.

Krap! That pretty much then means there's nothing can be done about this... even though the files i'm opening don't HAVE any plug-in effects in them.... Xara still has to read through the file to find that out. And that's where the long delay is taking place.

Aaah well... maybe one day soon Xara will address this issue with a simple reorganization of the code... like putting this info at the head of the code so Xara doesn't have to search the entire file. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for the input anyway guys, it helped me realize where i was 'assuming' incorrectly.

Have a good one.
    Mark...

I'm not sure that's right either Mark.
    Opening a .xar which has LE's (or used thrid party plugins) will cause a delay while the LE's used in the file are loaded and the effect re rendered, but opening file which does not is much much faster.
    Also note that if you have closed the application with opened galleries, it will re open them on start - so a scan of gallery content also takes place.

Aaah well... maybe one day soon Xara will address this issue with a simple reorganization of the code... like putting this info at the head of the code so Xara doesn't have to search the entire file. If that makes any sense.
    I think we can assume that the Xara developers know a little about what they do Mark

Mark the registry entry is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\5.1\Opti ons\Plug-ins\ParseAtStartup

Change the value from 1 to 0 and Xtreme 5 will not read the plugins during initialization.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes I also saw that Bill, but it seems to make no difference though.
    Plugins are not parsed until you press the 'new' button after selecting the plugin tool. You can see the action in the status bar (especially if you have lots of plugins).
    On or Off the load time of Xtreme remains the same as far as it is possible to tell.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 October 2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: too many ins

Perhaps the default template or one of the files in the Brushes directory is using one or more live effects?
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes I also saw that Bill, but it seems to make no difference though.
    Plugin-ins are not parsed until you press the 'new' button after selecting the plugin tool. You can see the action in the status bar (especially if you have lots of plugins).
    On or Off the load time of Xtreme remains the same as far as it is possible to tell.
    That is one of several registry keys that seem to be ignored by Xtreme.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Another victim of deprecation.