Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Color Fill Line Drawing XaraXtreme 4

I am new to Xara although I have had it for a while I am renewing my artistic ventures. Any how, I recently finished a line drawing of a dog as part of a dog tutorial. It is composed of several line segments but I can not figure out a way how to fill the drawing with a color. The image is closed. I have tried to convert the lines to a shape but that hasn't worked. I would appreciate any help.

Also, I know there are several workbooks. Is there a series that will take me through ALL the Xara features? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Default Re: Color Fill Line Drawing XaraXtreme 4

Hi Dave, if your line is not connected you will see a message in the status bar telling you this.
    If it is connected the message will show this too. When all lines are connected, the shape will automatically fill with colour (default is black).
    If you can post your .xar file, we can see if there's a problem.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	status.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	66849  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks, I will attach the file for your review.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Dave, Welcome to TG.

I'm afraid none of your lines are joined, yes they 'touch' but they are not joined to create a single closed path which will allow a fill.

To help you understand, please review this Video tutorial from Egg:

Dave, I have attached a modified version of your file, which shows where the lines are not connected. What I would advise is drawing a continuous outline of the dog shape, which will fill with colour when all joined up. This outline (shape) can be put behind your cute drawing (Ctrl + B) and then given the colour of your choice. This way you will still see all of the lines you previously drew.
    Edit: I see I've been beaten to it! The video will show you how to draw a continuous outline.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 18 October 2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: modification
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I would leave your lines just as they are. Most of the line work I do is just that, line work, and then for color draw a shape with the continuous outline and make it the color you want it to be and then set it to no outline, or line width of zero. And then move it behind the line work. This allows you to have different stroke shapes for your line work and have color too.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I agree with Bruce that you do not need to redraw it - I wouldn't. Here is an alternative to his suggestion [that involves no redrawing at all]

First: you have left one gap at the ear top that needs to be patched with a line [ see attachment - I did this in red to highlight - you should use the same color brown as the rest]

Once you have done this follow these steps:

select all
    arrange menu: click 'convert line to shape'
    arrange menu>combine shapes: click 'add shapes'
    edit menu: click 'copy' to copy it to the clipboard
    arrange menu: break shapes
    select everything and change the color
    deselect everything
    edit menu: click 'paste in place' to paste the clipboard copy back where it came from

there is more than one shape created so you should select everything and duplicate, then drag the duplicated shapes out to investigate what you have, that you can usefully use

drawing all the way round in one go is good practice - but you don't have to sweat it upfront, especially if you like to use the freehand tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ear.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	66852  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Don't know if this is the same way as Steve J's suggestion but here's a cheap and cheerful way to do it.

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thumbs up Re: Color Fill Line Drawing XaraXtreme 4

My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to help me, I appreciated all the suggestions and video. FANTASTIC HELP EVERYONE

I'm noticing (for me at least) that a lot more of the help provided by the admins and senior members here is answered with short videos.

I just wanted to say thanks for the time and effort you folks take to do this. I truly hope that XARA understands, and shows their appreciation to you. And, that one of the main reasons for their devoted user base is greatly due to the support received here in this forum.

There's nothing more frustrating or annoying then spending a LOT of money on some of the so-called big aps.... then when there's a problem, you have to fill out a 'support ticket', or there are no decent forums to speak of.

Again thanks so much to all who give their time to help out the beginner Xara uses become proficient in using the app.

Cheerio from a Yank

Cliff