Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C4D Users

Or anyone else who can help. I'm on a couple of weeks holidays right now, so expect to be inundated with questions.
    I am trying my hand at point modelling a car and I have a question as to how I can close the gaps between panels such as you can see between the hood and the fender. Any help appreciated.

Arnold
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see you use subdivision surfaces. Could you allow weights to your points ? Another solution could be duplicating some external edges without moving them.

I hope that can help; I am not a C4D user but that's what I could do in LW.

kindly,
    ivan

Yep! Ivans right, add weight to those edges.

Well, not that I have had the extreme pleasure of working with weight of verts options within C4D, being a wings user myself,but geom and subd being what they are... I would like to suggest that simply adding a influence loop close along those edges would go a long way in keeping things straight ... I believe this is what Ivan was getting at with his second suggestion...

If someone would care to give an example of the weighted verts this would be very cool to observe I can see other similar projects whereby this information would come into play... mouse buttons for instance

Cool project Arnold... will be great to see this progress...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If someone would care to give an example of the weighted verts this would be very cool to observe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, C4D v8.5, shift select the edges you want to (influence) add weight to, press the magic button (the period on your key board) drag your mouse to the right.

that's an awesome example shown here Mike... and man are you ever quick on the ball eh

Ok, I am taking that this example is with a later version of C4D right... I mean I am but only a CE user... and since this cE does not have them edge tools...hmmm... I tried the set verts wieght and ended up with a colored area/cube, and nada else... hehe... any suggestions?

gidgit ver 8.5, We discussed this stuff a while back, here's the link. it shows a manual method of adding weight via extrusions, hope it helps.
    http://talkgraphics.com/groupee/foru...71&m=589103317

Mike... So adding wieght is the same same as adding a influence loop?

I mean I look at your example and I don't see the extra loop, yet the same result as if one was added... is this just done behind the scenes with math affecting said area?

hehe, I think I have done that manual route once or twice before eh... lol

Gidgit, it must be a behind the scenes function of C4D. Check out this image, the wires are C4D at Sub-d level 2 the render was set at sub-d level 3, I exported the weighted hypernurbs obj, due to the render setting the resulting model is at sub-d level 3, I opened it in Silo, as you can see no additional edge geometry has been added.
    Pretty cool eh.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I know about making extra knife cuts close to the edge, to keep that part straight, but I didn't want to use that method.
    Mike, I can do the select/period drag thing with polygons but not with edges, Ver. 8.1
    What I did find however is that if I select the edge, right-click, select extrude, then hold down the control key and click the mouse it gives me a straight edge. See pic's for result.

Arnold
    Attached Images Attached Images