Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default How do I work with whole pixels only?

Hi,

I use my Xara primarly for producing web graphics, so I use pixels as the unit. When scaling objects ½ pixels occur, which does not make sence.

Have I missed some setting somewhere which will prevent scaling to non-integer pixels?

Another thing - it would be great if Xara could come by default with a unit "px" instead of "pix". px is generally used on the web as a unit to representate pixels - so when I try to copy and paste a - say - length from an object from Xara to an CSS document in my HTML editor I get an error, cause "pix" is not a known unit.

Ofcause I (and others who use Xara Xtreme together with other web tools) could define a new custom unit "px" - but if it is "px" which generally is used and not "pix", why not change it? Or perhaps add "px" to the standard units?
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Default Re: How do I work with whole pixels only?

Having scale line widths on can cause this problem even when snap to grid is enabled.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: How do I work with whole pixels only?

Have I missed some setting somewhere which will prevent scaling to non-integer pixels?
    This is not really possible as far as I know. As Drwyd said, if you toggle the scale line width button, it may solve a lot of the problems. But since you're working in a vector program, situations as you described will occur.
    If you create a shape that initially has non-integer dimensions (60 x 50,3 pixels for example) the state of the scale line width button won't matter. Only way to fix this would be to scale its height to 50 pixels (disable the lock aspect ratio button first, otherwise the width will now have a non-integer value) which causes a bit of stretching. Or scale the dimensions by a factor of 10 making the shape 600 x 503 pixels.

You can further decrease these problems by enabling Snap to grid. But even then, don't act surprised if occasionally you still get non-integer dimensions