Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question web page showing only text

When uploading files to server, the index_htm_files folder goes to higher directory and the server can't find it. When opening the files and uploading, they go to the right directory but only text from the index.htm file shows on the web page. I've spent an hour with the server rep and we can't figure out what's wrong. Any body got an idea?

Default Re: web page showing only text

Your server files should look something like this. Your subfolder may be named other than htdocs

P.S. ignore the backup folder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serverfiles.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	66729  
    Last edited by Drwyd; 12 October 2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: P.S. ignore the backup folder

yes, there's no problem with how the files are on my HD. It's getting them on the server in the right place and once there, getting the web page to publish completely. The files are to go into a file named public_html. The individual files do go there but the folder goes to the same place as the public_html folder. Apparently, there is a link in the index.htm file that looks for the folder and not the files within the folder. But with the folder on a higher level and not in public_html, the link can't find it. What to do? I'm stumped. Thanks for your idea.

Welcome penguina, how are you uploading your files, via Web Designers publish feature or via an ftp program? If it's the later, can you supply a screen grab of your servers file structure? Can you give us a link to your problem page?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I'm using an ftp client, WS-FTP. I've used this before on two web pages and had no trouble publishing. This is the first I've used Web Designer. Love the ease of making a web page with it. Now if I could get it published.... I will try to figure out how to send the info you requested later as it is 2 a.m. now. Brain is getting fuzzy. Thanks for your help!

Those are the files as they appear on the server. your ftp addres will end with /public_html not /htdocs.

As far as I can understand your problem it should be a simple case of uploading your index_htm_files folder to the same place as the .htm files.

This is the method I use when I am away from my main PC

Load I.E.

Enter ftp://yourdomain.com/public_html into the address bar

From the menu select - page >> open ftp in windows explorer

enter username and password

from there on it is just drag and drop all files and folders into /public_html

You are a genius! So simple. I followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. If you want a look, check it out at http://www.siouxlandflyfishing.com. What a pain this has been but I'm so glad you were able to help. One other question. I have 'screen grabber' for Firefox. What is a good program that will work on any browser or program that is on the monitor screen? Thanks to all who tried to find a fix for my problem.

Glad I could help :-)

Printscreen button (PrtSc) usually near the top right of you keyboard

Open Xara

Ctrl+V to paste

select bitmap

Shift+Ctrl+E to export to jpeg/png/gif etc.

penguina, on the fly-fishing web site, your background image has a link attached. I doesn't link to anything but the hand with a pointing finger icon is always showing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host