Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can't view all layers problem.

In Web design I was setting up a webpage and in desigh it looks fine, in preview it has 3 or 4 layers that show that I can't find or view in the design window. eg I have a photo(1) ontop of another photo(2). I had tried photo (1) and did'nt like it and put in Photo(2).

How can I see all the layer to cancel the one I don't want.

Many thnaks

Mike

Default Re: Can't view all layers problem.

Sorry forgot link http://ni-websites.com/kicrs/index_3.htm Youcan see the problem. The large photos and text do not show up in the XWD design page.

Ta

Mike

Hi Mickymac,
    enclose the Xar/Web file so the experts can have a look at the original file
    JmG

Files available here - http://ni-websites.com/kicrs/kip1.web 17mb

I am on dial up and would be all night attaching it. BT BRoadband sucks in rural areas! Thanks Mike
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 12 October 2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added download size

Micky, I can't see what's causing your problem, it previews okay. I'd suggest you delete all the files on your server and re-upload it.

A couple of good practices to get into is to name your pages not just have them as nopagename. A second is to have a folder with all your original photographs from which you import them into your Web Designer pages. Once you've imported them and resized them to what size you require, "Optimise" all the photographs. This makes the .web or .xar file much smaller. Attached is a screen grab of just 1 page of your site. Look at the difference in the image sizes after optimisation and these were optimised as png's, if I'd used jpg's the file size would be even smaller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	94 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	66740  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg

Thanks for looking, I will try your suggestion, I will also start on the housekeeping with optomising photos etc while on the subject of photographs. Would you have any ideas on how I can I keep my photographs sharp, focused not blury on a web page. When I pull a photograph onto a webpage and make it smaller by draging the corners in it becomes grainy. Can I keep my photos sharp in some way?

Many thanks Mike

Make sure you have the view quality set to VHQ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view-quality-vhq.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	66742

I went through the pages also, and can't see anything that would cause that behavior. Some of does view like an incomplete upload problem. I agree with egg to delete the website files off the server and re-upload.

Here's a sample of what it looks like when files aren't uploaded correctly. Every time you make a change to the site and re-export, Xara renames all the files. A specific location on a page is designated to display a certain file name. If the new file hasn't been uploaded within index_htm_files folder (incomplete upload) or you forgot to upload the index_htm_files folder (I've done it) the browser displays the designated file name in the designated size anyway, which usually results in a distorted image. Also, since you are on dialup, an incomplete upload with a 17MB website is certainly likely.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misplaced.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	66747