Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default image zoom / e-paper

Hi,

I working on a project where I have old newspaper pages photographed (they were too big too scan), and I would like to use a rather quick and easy solution to show these pages. The idea is that you first see the whole old-page-image on a web-page, and when you click on the image it will zoom in and then you can scroll around and read the text. The image/zoom will be quite big because the text was in a very fine-print in those days. The page images are about 2000x3000 pixels in size.

Any solutions and suggestions are welcome. I've looked at Fancy Zoom and NextGEN etc but haven't really found anything quite suitable. A Wordpress plugin-solution would be welcome as well (but isn't a must).
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Default Re: image zoom / e-paper

Have you tried MS SilverLight 'Deep Zoom' ?
    There's a free downloadable DeepZoom Composer from MS

Here's a site which is using Deep Zoom

I would use Flash Paper. It uses the Flash plug-in, which most everyone has, and will do what you're asking. Zoom in, pan around, multiple pages, etc. It's actually very nice. If you have Flash, you already have it as well.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Most people have Silverlight too. It's installed with Windows Updates.

Is it part of a .Net framework or SP? If not, I don't have it. It hasn't tried to install in my auto updates. I am running WinXP Media Center though.

I guess it boils down to how much you like Microsoft or Adobe between the two. My preference is Flash based, but that's the world I live in.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Microsoft began pushing Silverlight Via Windows Update in January 2008.

You can check support here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...l/default.aspx

Silverlight is a cross-browser, cross-platform and cross-device browser plug-in that helps companies design, develop and deliver applications and experiences on the Web

I don't have it, and my auto updates are on. Guess I'm just an anomaly. I don't go out of my way to avoid Silverlight, but I haven't been prompted to install it either. Not that many sites using it yet I suppose.

The auto update would only cover Win machines anyway. Granted, there are a lot of them out there.

Guess between Flash and Silverlight you have to pick the lesser of two evils or none of the above.

Red

Does the site linked in post#2 work for you?

Or you could test this one.
    Another to try.

A nice page flip.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 09 October 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks for the links Steve, but I'm not really interested in installing SL. I wasn't worried about not getting it in the auto updates either. The link you posted did work, it wants to install SL. I just don't see the need. Perhaps when more sites are using SL I will, but not just yet.

As a developer, I don't think it's a bad product, I'm just not a fan of complicated world MS creates. I've worked in their world, they make robust products, I just find other solutions more elegant.

Thanks again though!

Red