Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

Im new to this group a photopaint 8 and 9 user.
    I been looking at lots of tutorial for interface but most of the good one are in photoshop.
    So i had to learn how to convert them to photopaint.

On 2 of them i cant get it to do the same thing and i was wondering if anybody could look at the tutorial and see what they can do.

1- http://www.eyeball-design.com/page09.htm

Ok with this one i get stuck at step 4. i used render > lighting effects and i cant get it to look even remotely close to that. And on step 5 how does he put the channel from #3 and #4 together

I even tried to take the filter plug-in from a friend photoshop but i dont get the lighting effect but i get most of the other one but not
    the lighting effect.

2 - http://www.designsbymark.com/pstips/nav_roundcorn.shtml

This one is a very popular technique in photoshop but i cant duplicate it in photopaint. I get stuck at #3. I used Image > Adjust > Level equalization.

Thank you for any help.

Kai
    IP

Hi,

Im new to this group a photopaint 8 and 9 user.
    I been looking at lots of tutorial for interface but most of the good one are in photoshop.
    So i had to learn how to convert them to photopaint.

On 2 of them i cant get it to do the same thing and i was wondering if anybody could look at the tutorial and see what they can do.

1- http://www.eyeball-design.com/page09.htm

Ok with this one i get stuck at step 4. i used render > lighting effects and i cant get it to look even remotely close to that. And on step 5 how does he put the channel from #3 and #4 together

I even tried to take the filter plug-in from a friend photoshop but i dont get the lighting effect but i get most of the other one but not
    the lighting effect.

2 - http://www.designsbymark.com/pstips/nav_roundcorn.shtml

This one is a very popular technique in photoshop but i cant duplicate it in photopaint. I get stuck at #3. I used Image > Adjust > Level equalization.

Thank you for any help.

Kai
    IP

Why not make the round corners in DRAW? Easier as eating cake...
    IP

Kai

In your first link you list a page with about 30 tutorials on it so I do not know how to help.

However the Lighting filter for Photoshop works very diffrently to the Lighting filter in Photopaint, judging from a couple of the tutorials on the page I looked at that use the lighting filter. It appears that in Photopaint you would have to use a either or a combination of "The Boss filter (Effects/3D effects/The Boss) or the Bump map filter (Only available in V9 Effects/Custom/Bump Map)

To use the boss filter you would need a mask to use the Bump map filter you would need to construct a gray scale image with different levels of gray equating to the height of the image and therefore affecting how shadows are formed.

For the second link, this is much more straight forward, construct an image just as shown and blur it using the guassian blur filter, then goto menu Image/Adjust/Level Equalization and adjust the settings as shown in the attached screen shot.

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scrnshot.gif 
Views:	246 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	5591  
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Kai

Been playing a bit more, one of the tutorials involved creating a highlighted ring.

I managed to create the attached image entirely in PhotoPaint 8, if you want to know how it was done, let me know.

Peter

Name:	ring.gif 
Views:	228 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	8239  
    IP

Hey peter,

Sorry for the first link. I was refering to the ring like you posted on your second message.
    I did manage to make a ring but i took me forever. Practice makes perfect. I guess.

But i am still curious on how you did the white shadow on your ring. Did you use the lighting effect?

For the second one i cant believe it was that easy. I played with the level equalization many times but never got good result.

Another way of doing this i found it to make a mask of the shape i want and then smooth it.

I
    Thanks you for your help. I wiil be posting my work here very soon.

Kai
    IP

Kai

ok

In PhotoPaint 8, Create a new document with the following settings

RGB 24Bit
    492X369 Pixels

Next create a black circle (with render to object button set)
    Next create a white circle smaller than the black circle, about 10 pixels all the way around (with render to object button set)

Align the two circles to the centre of the document (select both circles and press CTRL + A) Should look like image 1

Flatten the image (CTRL + SHIFT + CURSOR DOWN)

Apply a guassian blur of 5 pixels

Image / Transform / Invert

Convert whole picture to 8 Bit greyscale you should end up with a shape like image 2 and save as ring.cpt

Close the drawing down.

Create a new document with exactly the same parameters as previously (they should be remembered)

Fill the drawing with the colour you want the ring to be.

Load mask from disk and select the greyscale ring file.
    Goto 3D effects /The Boss and fill in the following settings

Width 14
    Smoothness 100
    Height 22
    Brightness 100
    Sharpness 5
    Direction 133
    Angle 45
    Drop off Guassian

And apply filter

Now apply the guassian blur filter again of 5 Pixels, repeat 3 or 4 times more using the repeat filter command CTRL + F until the gradients are nice and smooth.

Now press CTRL + K (Paint on Mask) to show the grey scale mask.

Goto Image / Adjust / Level Equalization and in the top left value of the histogram feed in a value of between 8 and 12 (approximately) and in the top right value feed in a value about 8 higher than the top left value. Apply filter

What you are doing is sharpening the mask to provide a cutout, the top left value sets the outside limit and the top right value sets the inside limit, you may need to adjust the outside limit to clip the ring just right.

After adjusting the levels on the greyscale mask, pressing CTRL + K returns you to the colour image, you should see the new mask tightly hugging the inside and outside of the ring

Now perform an Object / Create : Object copy selection and drag the new ring object to a new or another document.

This procedure is much harder to describe than do, hope it is useful.

Peter

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on January 29, 2001 at 09:07 AM.]

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on January 29, 2001 at 09:13 AM.]

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on January 29, 2001 at 09:14 AM.]

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	16780  
    IP

Here is image 2

Peter

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	11126  
    IP

In PhotoPaint you can mix channels using Calculations.

Calculations have not Undo if the Undo List option is active. You should disable the Undo List in order to Undo Calculations.

Hope it helps.
    IP