Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lately when I've been trying to start Photoshop (5.5), an error message appears reading, "Photoshop has caused an invalid page fault in module COOLTYPE". Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I've tried adobe online support, but that didn't seem to help me very much. I would appreciate any help or advice.
    IP

Lately when I've been trying to start Photoshop (5.5), an error message appears reading, "Photoshop has caused an invalid page fault in module COOLTYPE". Does anybody know how to solve this problem? I've tried adobe online support, but that didn't seem to help me very much. I would appreciate any help or advice.
    IP

Well it's been said that Photoshop's "prefs" (.psp) file can be the cause of a lot of different start-up problems with the program... so it's been said, in Adobe's own forum.

To see if this is the case in your situation, you'll have to Delete this file and let Photoshop re-write it the next time you try to start it up.

NOTE:
    PS can never be running when you do this; and by doing this, you will lose any specific program preferences you've setup. But if it helps, who cares right? Anyway, you'll have the backup copy made (see below) in case this doesn't help, and you can just remove the words "Copy of..." from the file name. And it will be as if you never Deleted it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

How, you say? Do this...

Go to the directory where you installed the program. Then look in this folder:

AdobePhotoshop 5.5Adobe Photoshop 5.5 Settings

Find this file: Adobe Photoshop 5.5 Prefs.psp, and Delete it. If you're at all concerned this may not help, make a Copy of this file first and Delete the original only.

Then, try starting up Photoshop again, and see if this does the trick for you. If it doesn't, then i suggest you have a look in Adobe's own forum for an answer. I've seen this problem being asked about before in their, and quite a few folks have suggested other alternative solutions.

Hope it helps,
    Mark (aka theKeeper)...

[This message was edited by theKeeper on August 29, 2000 at 06:22 AM.]
    IP

Another thing you might want to try is the ole windows fixer. THis is a good all round maintenance routine that can fix a mirade of problems.

Close down any running aps

Take out the trash (empty the bin)

do a find files for *.tmp files and delete them all

Defrag and scan your drive

When programs crash, they often leave temp files on the drive, and these temp files may be accessed again by the ap when it is doing a similar routine. And if this routine resulted in a crash...you may get a crash each ane every time you try to do that thing again.

Beyond that, deleting the prefs is a good idea. If problems still happen, I might check your fonts out (since the cool type thingy may access this). A corrupt font can cause all kinds of grief.

Beth
    IP