Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Cool Lack of Attention to Detail - Silhouette Challenge

This graphic was going to be posted in the Xara Gallery then I thought better of it. I decided that this would make another great, not so challenging, challenge.

When making drawings by hand or with the aid of software we all agonize at one time or another how much detail to put into the final drawing. That's why this Silhouette Challenge is going to emphasize just the opposite and focus our attention on the outline and interaction of various shapes. Additionally, we won't have to worry too much about what color to make our objects as almost all of them will have a uniform, solid color fill.

This challenge is for everyone that can draw objects and give nearly all of them a flat, single color, solid fill. How easy can you get? This should appeal to new users of Xara Xtreme as well as seasoned veterans of the software. It's up to you decide how simple or complex your final composition will be. You'll see that no complex fills, feathering, shadows, or transparencies are needed or necessary to make an effective silhouette drawing.

Here's my Street Silhouette Scene to kick things off and provide an example of what this challenge is all about. I started out with the silhouette of the girl and got carried away with the rest of the objects in the finished drawing. Every object in the drawing has a solid black fill except for the background (a four color fill) and the sidewalk (a flat orange fill). If you're a new user don't let any of this discourage you. I've seen compelling silhouette drawings that are comprised solely of single shapes of varying sizes. So, c'mon, let's see your 'lack of attention to detail' put to good use in a silhouette drawing of your own creation.

See you on the dark (or maybe light) side,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Street Silhouette - ©2009 HayTay.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	66489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Street Silhouette - Wire Frame - ©2009 HayTay.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	66490