Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default favourite traditions

One of the wonderful things about TG is that members from many cultures all over the world come together to learn from and share ideas and resources with each other. Many places around the globe celebrate holidays or festivals in December. My challenge is simple. Share an image depicting your favourite December tradition.

To start things off this is an image that I submitted for last years December group show on the Xara Xone. It is an Advent wreath. Advent is observed in many Christian churches during the 4 weeks preceding Christmas. It is a circualr wreath that is usually set on a table. the wreath holds 5 candles 4 blue and one white. On each of the 4 sundays of Advent a candle is lit. the 4 blue candles represent peace, hope, love, joy. The white center candle is the Christ candle and is lit on Christmas Eve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Advent Candles.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	67885  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: favourite traditions

The first image is an amalgam I've been thinking about for this year's end. The winter solstice (in the Northern hemisphere) was long celebrated as aiding the solar deity to his rebirth after the shortest day. This festival is perhaps best known as Yule. Before that there was an apparently world-wide reverence (the evidence at least is world-wide) for a single lunar deity, the Great Goddess, whose avatar is the Moon (hence her common designation as the White Goddess) and who was usually represented by a tripartite symbol (another term for her: The Triple Moon Goddess) often, as here, interlocking with the moon - balance, unity, harmony, eternity. Isis, Astarte, Lilith, Venus ... her name in these islands was - and still is - Ceridwen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yule.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	67887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceridwen.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	67888  

Last edited by zaphodeist; 27 November 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: missed a bit
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Frances, very beautiful candles. I like the glow and that you put the drips on the candles.

John, great metal look on the first but the second is my favorite. I like how you made the words look part of the design.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Thank you Nancy
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64