Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: CSS Design

Default CSS Design

This idea applies more to web design using Xtreme, than using Xtreme to build your pages... Although exporting it as a web site does give you a working mockup.

You have come up with an overall design for your site, got the CSS layout working etc, but now you need to focus on the formatting of headings, body text, images etc.

Before you bury yourself in the actual CSS, you need to mock up what the page might look like.

... That was my predicament.

The attached is my first stab at a set of samples to play with. It needs some other CSS tags - cite, numbered list, quotations, links ...

Using it myself, this looks very crowded so I will need to work out how to give it some air.

Any comments/ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stlewis; 26 September 2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Default Re: CSS Design

Simon - Sorry nobody has responded to this thread.

I suspect it's because you have not explained why you are doing this.

Are you trying to create a site template?

Work with us here.

After reading Gary's comment I had a look at your upload. He's right; it's not clear to me what you are asking. CSS problem? Layout? What I see from your file looks pretty straightforward, pretty much plain Jane. I can't see any reason why you couldn't simply use the built in web tools without worrying about CSS &c.

If you clarify your needs you'll certain to get lots of help here.
    Phil Thompson

Sorry...

Yes, my problem is I that am doing sites that are too complex to use the web page building part of Xtreme (eg loads of PHP, 400+ pages).

I have the page design - header, footer, three columns, and the CSS to create the page layout.

But the next step is to create the typography CSS file for the site. The challenge is to come up with a consistent set of headings, bulleted lists, etc that fit with the page design.

Xtreme's page generation function is great for giving a prototype in my project, but the main use of Xtreme is to play with ideas. I will then write the CSS to recreate the idea.

The file I uploaded is a vanilla design to start with. Hope it is useful to *someone* else.
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon

Thanks for the clarification.

Doesn't the software you are using for these large sites create a CSS style sheet?

It seems odd to use Xtreme to create this.

I use NetObjects Fusion for my larger sites and there is the capability for creating a range of text styles which are then added to the style sheet. And for most of my tutorials and sites in which the page elements and styles remain constant, I create a template, complete with CSS file.

I would recommend doing your designing and prototyping in Xtreme and then make a list of your styles, print it out for reference, and use this when designing your large sites.

Yes, I use Dreamweaver.

But I find it hard to do the text design - getting it interesting but consistent

I have used Xtreme for a long time to get the page layout, icons, colour palette etc designed, but this is the next step in creating a more sophisticated looking site.
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I would have a look at this site: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/

i edited my pictures in Xtreme and link to them using css
    Last edited by mljk; 02 October 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added second line