Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Label Printing

Threaded View

Default Re: Label Printing

Have you guys tried Blending and Duplicating?

I know it might sound a lil' odd for this function, but i think it might be able to take out a large chunk of the extra time needed to update each label.

THE METHOD:
    From scratch... create the first and last labels in the first (left most) column of your label template. Now use the Blend tool to create the in-between copies.

Duplicate the first column repeatedly to fill the template across the page. The trick to the duping function working here is to set the duplicate distance (the 'X' axis distance in Page Options/General tab) to match, or be a few pixels wider than, the width of your labels. Whatever the distance needs to be to line up on your labels. You'll need to set the 'Y' axis distance to 0. Press Ctrl+Alt+D to perform the duping.

Then, when needed, simply edit/change the 1st/last labels in the first column (the blending of them will update all the in-between copies), then delete the other old duplicated columns to the right, and Duplicate the first column over again.

TIP: I've noticed that it helps to create a solid shape behind the text for the label. I think it helps the Blend tool space more accurately to match the template. If you're just using plain text on the labels just create a white rectangle or square matching the size of a single label. Then Group the text to the shape before Blending.

Is this making sense?
    I've experimented with this a bit and it seems to work pretty well. The only small snafu one might have is getting the blended copies to match the layout of the label template to your liking. But if you're just doing plain address labels or the like, this method might work just fine. Try it and see. :-)>

I hope i'm understanding correctly your needs here.
    Any questions/clarifications needed just ask.

peace

Mark...
    Last edited by Mark (theKeeper); 02 November 2009 at 08:05 AM.