Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: photo resizing

Exclamation photo resizing

Hi,
    I've been using xtreme 4 for a while and have just upgraded to xtreme 5pro.
    I'm doing a newsletter for my club, I normally do this in xtreme 4 with no problems but now that I'm using xtreme 5pro, when I add a photo and resize it, it still stays at the same large size (file). Normally my newsletters come out at about 7mb, but to my shock and horror my new newsletter is 74mb! I've deleted all the photos and it's back to 9mb, how do I add photos without blowing it up??
    Please help,
    Thanks,
    Rusty

Default Re: photo resizing

That seems odd to me. I use XXPro5. I haven't experienced such a problem. Resizing a photo within XXPro shouldn't affect the file size hardly at all. What is the format of the photo, and what is the original photo file size?
    Tony

I think I'm right in saying XXP5 exports images as PNG by default, but if you use the Properties box you can make it export an image as JPG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_options.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	66345  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

You could try resizing your photograph and exporting as a jpeg at the required size. Re-import and delete the original and your file size should be slashed. My quick trial reduced a 3mb page with one 10mp image and some text down to about 40kb.
    Derek

I had made the assumption, perhaps wrongly, that it was a printable newsletter you were considering. (I don't use XXPro for the web.)

It does seem logical, though, in either case, to shrink your images to approximate size before importing them. You can always do that in Photo Designer if you don't already have a favourite photo program.

For photos I'd tend to use jpg format if file size is a problem
    Tony

Yes I think John might has assumed the Newsletter was going to be web based. Perhaps the OP can clarify and I will move the thread to the correct forum if this is the case.
    However it's possible that it's a PDF for email distribution to club members in which case compression can be controlled in a number of ways, [1] Drag-resize then Optimise the bitmap (right-click the image and choose Optimise) [2] Drag resize and then create a bitmap copy using the compression/IQ setting you require.
    These two methods will produce new (smaller) versions in the bitmap gallery, so the larger originals can be removed.
    Finally, option [3] Set the compression/IQ in the PDF export dialog.

Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give them a try. Yes, I convert it to pdf for email distribution.
    I just don't understand why I never had this problem in xara 4?
    Thanks again,
    rusty

Hi Rusty

Even though I think the guys have given you the specific advice you need for getting your photo sizes under control, I'm going to throw something else out that may help answer your question as to why it wasn't happening in v4.

I had a problem with burgeoning file sizes a while back when my bitmap import option was set to import at 1:1, aka 96dpi. When I imported a 300dpi bitmap, resized then exported at 300dpi, I wound up with gigantic files because it was bumping up the resolution.

How are your options set?

Allison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmap_options.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	66720