Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's in your folder?

Do you have images that you've started but never got around to finishing? Did you get halfway through a picture and lose interest? Did a project pique your interest but proved too difficult to finish?

Was wondering if this happens to others. It happens to me all the time. I started a picture over a week ago and it going nowhere. In my case, I think it's because I don't like the figure I've drawn. I like his face but his body is just wrong. When I draw, my hand and eyes seem to do separate things and I end up with something I didn't want. That is why I rely so heavily on photos, which I really don't want to do.

someone said 'practice, practice, practice. I feel like I've been practicing my whole life but never got better. I envy you who can drawn your lines and are happy the first time around.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: What's in your folder?

Nancy, is there anyone that can "draw your lines and are happy the first time around"?

The attached is one of my unfinished drawings. I don't recall what year I started it, I know it was more than 6 years ago.

The second attachment shows a closer look at the face, the other layers have been turned off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unfinished.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	66233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unfinished2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	66234  

Last edited by Soquili; 28 September 2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added second attached image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Happens to me all the time.
    It didn't when I painted, but since... things have been a constant struggle. I guess I'm just a numb node these days, but still, I try.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You are not alone in this regard. I've got folders within folders containing projects I've started but never finished. Some were just experiments and will never be finished. Other drawings, well, maybe someday. I blame it all on TalkGraphics, though. Someone posts something new and nifty and I've just got to stop what I'm doing and give it a whirl. When I'm finished playing around with that I've either forgotten what I was working on or I find I've lost interest in the project. Then, when the spirit moves me, I start something new and the cycle continues.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah.

Still havin' a blast,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    You are not alone in this regard. I've got folders within folders containing projects I've started but never finished. Some were just experiments and will never be finished. Other drawings, well, maybe someday. I blame it all on TalkGraphics, though. Someone posts something new and nifty and I've just got to stop what I'm doing and give it a whirl. When I'm finished playing around with that I've either forgotten what I was working on or I find I've lost interest in the project. Then, when the spirit moves me, I start something new and the cycle continues.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah.

Still havin' a blast,
    Harry
    Good reply Harry. I know what you mean.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 28 September 2009 at 04:44 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Rotfl! So I'm not alone Bill, your lady's face is excellent. If I was that far along I would just have to finish it. Really good.

Larry, you are NOT a numb node!!! If you are, then I am and I'm sure that I'm not

Harry, you must be about my age. I forget too

Here's what I'm stuck on right now. Can't decide if he should have the hair or be balding.

Name:	creeperhead.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	66246  
    Last edited by Burpee; 28 September 2009 at 03:19 AM.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I too have unfinished drawings lurking on my hard drive, maybe I'll finish them eventually. Like Harry I often get side tracked by talkgraphics.
    Nancy, I like the balding one best
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Nancy, I hope you're packing some garlic, a large crucifix, a few wooden stakes, some mace, and maybe a small hand gun (with silver bullets) when you're off snapping reference photos for your drawings! Egads, I hope that's not a relative of yours! Just kidding. Given the choice between the two goblins (?) my vote goes to the balding fellow. Not knowing what is going to comprise the rest of the drawing leaves me (us) at a disadvantage in choosing one over the other, though.

Back to the topic at hand...

I forgot to mention that volunteering for, getting volunteered for, and completing graphic projects for my wife and daughter take up a good portion of my time. They always seem to appreciate what I've done and offer honest, and sometimes blunt, critiques of the graphics I've created using Xara Xtreme. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any concept of how long it takes to finish some of their 'little projects'.

I'll bet others have 'special requests' that get them derailed from pet projects as well.

Nancy the image with hair would be the character in his younger years. The balding image is later in life.

What is the story to be told with the image. Is he young and just beginning his journey or is he retelling the tale?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If anyone is interested in how the face in my previous post was created.

It consists of 72 objects using Feathering and Transparencies.

A .xar file with the vector face and the imported png showing the outline view is attached.

Name:	unfinished-face.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	66257  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update