Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Text box problem

Hi, Just joined today, I'm enjoying Web designer so much I have almost stopped using dream weaver. I have searched and read a lots of the posts on this forum without finding an answer to my problem. I want to use a text box similar to those in the designs gallery however I want ones that just lengthen as you type not gets wider. All the ones I can find in the program are designed to expand in both directions. Can anyone advise? Many thanks to all> Mike

Default Re: Text box problem

By "lengthen, not get wider" do you mean to create a text column?
    If so, tap the "T" text button, and then click & drag from left to right over the area you want the text to be--the specific width.
    It will create a text column, so if you keep typing, it will fill text in to the end of the box on the right, then start a new line.
    You can adjust the width by moving the right or left box.
    Is that what you are trying to accomplish?

When you create your stretching object, make sure you set horizontal extending to none. See the screen shot and attached design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extend.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	66248  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John.

Hi John,

Could you expand on that please [pun intentional]
    For example, where would Mike find the Name Gallery in Web Designer ?

Ah, ughh..... Well, I missed the part about WD. There's not much you can do about stretching boxes in WD anyway, so I assumed he's using Xtreme.
    So, the first step shoud be to upgrade to Xtreme I guess.
    John.

Hi. I am using WD and I do have Extreme (4) however it’s in WD that I have the problem.
    1. See attached file. In this example I have taken the background from the designs gallery and added text and photo I always get an extended section at the bottom with no text, I have made sure that there are no extra unseen text spaces in that area. Can I get rid of the extra unneeded length?

2. Creating a text column is straight forward using the T button and getting your line width correct, however when its in a text box from the design page it will not just go down the page it also gets wider. Can you restrict expansion in both directions?

3. In the justification of text can it be justified so that it is straight on both sides? As in Dreamweaver where there are four justification icons, align left, middle and right and then Justify?

Ta Mike Thanks for everyones time.

I don't know if this will get back to any of the WD team – Along with other design software I have used most of the Xara products for many years, however I am absolutely blown away with WD. I cannot find enough adjectives to describe how good it is. It’s brilliant in concept and design and I know it will get even better! It has put fun back into designing sites. Thanks team!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	66250  

Quote Originally Posted by mickymac View Post
    1. See attached file. In this example I have taken the background from the designs gallery and added text and photo I always get an extended section at the bottom with no text, I have made sure that there are no extra unseen text spaces in that area. Can I get rid of the extra unneeded length?
    The text panel is a group that contains text block and a stretching background graphics, usually a rectangle or other shape. Simply select this shape, you can either use Ctrl+click or ungroup and then select it, and resize the way you like it. It will still follow text changes but with your corrections.

2. Creating a text column is straight forward using the T button and getting your line width correct, however when its in a text box from the design page it will not just go down the page it also gets wider. Can you restrict expansion in both directions?
    You can do it in Xtreme (including Xtreme 4) the way I was mentioning. But if the text in the text panel is not a column or area you can't change it's type. Athough, if I remember correctly most if not all text panels in the Text Panels section of the Designs Gallery are done with the column text.
    3. In the justification of text can it be justified so that it is straight on both sides? As in Dreamweaver where there are four justification icons, align left, middle and right and then Justify?
    You can not apply full justification to the text in Web Designer. But you can do it in Xtreme4 and then copy/paste it to WD. The justification will remain. But the exported HTML of the fully justified text will not look as WYSIWYG as all other text alignments. That's why it is disabled in WD. Also you'll get warning on export. Try if it works for you.
    I don't know if this will get back to any of the WD team – Along with other design software I have used most of the Xara products for many years, however I am absolutely blown away with WD. I cannot find enough adjectives to describe how good it is. It’s brilliant in concept and design and I know it will get even better! It has put fun back into designing sites. Thanks team!
    Yes, it gets to us. Thank you very much!
    John.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

There is a great tutorial on how to make your own stretchy text areas in the Xara Xone linked here. And if you want to know how to make stretchy buttons see my tutorial on the Xara Xone linked in my signature.

http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...workbook_1.htm

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric, remember that Mike does not have Xtreme 5.
    Both tutorials show steps using features found only in Xtreme 5.

Stretchy objects can be created using Xtreme Pro 4.

I short (2 page) tutorial made in April 2009 using Xtreme Pro 4
    http://btaylor.50megs.com/Stretch/
    Last edited by Soquili; 28 September 2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update