Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Starting new site in XX5

When starting a new web site in XX5, after changing the default page size to something appropriate, is it best to leave the options 'All pages in the document the same' and 'Same layers in all the pages', on or off?
    Thanks,

Peter Walder

Default Re: Starting new site in XX5

I usually leave mine On initially so that page changes look like smooth transitions from one to another, unless I discover I need to extend a page downward to make it longer.
    At that point, I uncheck the box and make the changes I need.

Thanks for this. I noticed that you said that you initially leave the settings on. Do you subsequently change them? One of the reasons I submitted the query was a post which seemed to imply that changing the settings part way through a site development could cause the site to crash ...in which case the initial choices could be critical.

Thanks again,
    Peter Walder

I haven't had any issues lengthening pages after they are first created/published.
    If I need a longer page, for photos as an example, I would uncheck the box, and make the changes to that page.
    The changes need to be done correctly so that page elements don't "vanish" behind other layers.
    When lengthening a page, work from the bottom up, meaning first grab the background layer and move it downwards, then move the footer down, then move the page elements, then the photos, or whatever is on the page itself.
    When shortening a page, you need to work the other way, from the top down, since if you shorten the background layer first, you may lose upper layers under the page below the one you are working on.
    Check out "Resizing Pages" at the bottom here.http://www.xara.com/us/products/webd...torials-demos/
    Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 25 September 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks again. Are there any consequences from your experience of leaving the 'Same layers on all page' option on?

Peter Walder