Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Changing the DPI

Hi All,

Hope someone can help.

I have to supply some artwork for a banner. The cloth type rather than a forum/web style one.

The printer needs the image I supply to be 305dpi.

I just need to know if this is a standard value or if not how I can change it in Corel PSP Pro Photo X2.

Thanks,

Chris.
    IP

Default Re: Changing the DPI

Firstly Its changing the ppi Bit pedant but dots pi are done automatically by our Deskjet printers. But Then the Commercial printing trade assigned dot to scanners as that was what They understand.

Right Ppi is a printing Factor as pixels per inch Note thats Sq Inch.
    So if you need 4 ft long at 305 PPI/DPI that 48 x 305 = 14680 pixels
    So you need to make sure that there are enough pixels in you image to be able to manage 305 PPI/DPI

as to how to change PPi in PSP, Thats done with Image resize. First uncheck Resample If you don't see that first check advanced.
    Now you Will See just three sets of figures, width hight and resolution. These are all linked together, changing one changes the other two. change the res to 305 pixels and it will automatically change the width and hight. These are changes made only to the printing output you image has not changed in any form its no bigger or smaller Just some info in the header of the image has been changed.

The real problem is if you don't have enough pixels to print at the size you want at 305 ppi.

Resizing vector text is no problem as that is fully re scalable. But raster images arnt, to increase the size you have to create new pixel by clever guesswork based on the originals but you can not create extra detail so the image will lose quality
    IP

Default Re: Changing the DPI

Trev, thank you very much for the help.

I'll work on what you have said and see how we go.

Really, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.
    IP