Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara Web Design tutor in Tampa, Florida?

The maximum size the TG server will allow as an attachemnt is 10mb
    .web files are only large if they contain many large photos.

Default Okay, how about...

I'm going to copy my website file and then erase pages 2 and 3, therefore leaving page 1 to upload. Let's see if THAT works....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Xara Web Design tutor in Tampa, Florida?

Debbie, which Xara program did you use to create your website?

I ask because there are strange things in your file. Things that should be on the MouseOff layer are on a hidden layer. Also your MouseOff layer is above the MouseOver layer. The MouseOff layer should be the lowest layer within the Layer Gallery, unless you have a background layer.

I opened your file in Xara Xtreme Pro 5.1 and have moved objects to the layers they should be on. The only things I was not sure about were which buttons were to actually be on the MouseOff and which were to be on the MouseOver layers.

I also Optimized you photos which will make your web site load faster for your visitors.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 24 September 2009 at 01:16 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Thank you

Soquili/Bill - I have Xara Web Designer and the version says 5.01.

Unfortunately, I don't know about MouseOff/Over layers, or what the heck I really did as I moved things around.

When I opened your file that you so kindly fixed for me, it probably doesn't look the same for me as it does for you because we are using different programs. For instance, a photo was over some text a bit, some buttons weren't showing text, and a few other things looked different, plus there is an unusual white layer behind the whole page that is shorter than the page. I will go back to my "drawing board" and look more closely and read up about the MouseOff/Over layers and try to learn more. (My website is not up anywhere yet, just still in progress.)

I also don't understand "optimizing photos". All these things that I don't know are why I would love a local person to help me AS I do these wrong things!! <sigh>

Anyway, I can't work on my first page in my original creation because I cannot CLICK on anything to SELECT anything to change anything anymore. <shrug> So maybe I'll have to start again...

Thank you for your help. When I have time again I will go through more of the tutorials and try to get to the part I need at the time.

If anyone meets a Tampa person who knows Xara and is willing to help me out and get paid, keep me in mind please!!

Thank you.

Default Re: Thank you

Hi debtee,

I don't know about MouseOff/Over layers
    Most of the web page content should be created in the MouseOff layer, this includes the navigation buttons. The MouseOver layer should only contain the navigation buttons in their changed state.

...it probably doesn't look the same for me as it does for you because we are using different programs. For instance, a photo was over some text a bit, some buttons weren't showing text...
    Whether the file is viewed in Xara Xtreme or Xara Web Designer the page will look identical. Yes the photo does cover some text, it just needs moving down a bit. The text on the buttons you supplied was also missing.

...plus there is an unusual white layer behind the whole page that is shorter than the page.
    That's the page size debtee. Go into Utilities/Options and under the Page Size tab set the page size to 800 w x 820 h to ensure all your site is in a viewable region.

I also don't understand "optimizing photos".
    Optimising Photos is only to keep the size of the web file low. For example, in the attached screen grab (click it to view full size) you can see that the original photo, when imported into WD is 2,767Kbs. After it's been optimised via Utilities/Optimise Photo it's reduced to 7Kb's. It just means that when you save your work the file size will be much smaller. For example your attachment is 5.52Mb's and Bills is only 60Kb's, yet you don't see any difference between the 2 files when you open them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	66094  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 24 September 2009 at 03:25 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Smile Thank you, Egg B.

Oops - I forgot that since my darned first page turned non-interactive on me, I couldn't do the buttons which I did on page 2 and page 3. Then when I saw the page, I thought, Hey, I had writing on those buttons!! My absent-mindedness kicking in - plus it was about 6 weeks ago that this fouled up on me, so it's REALLY not fresh in my mind now!

I don't recall fooling with Mouse information, so I don't know what I did to mess up. Will have to learn that.

Optimizing - OK, I'll read up on that specifically. Thank you again, all of you who have helped out, you are very kind attempting to explain to me what I know are "basics" that I don't "get" yet. I shall plod on because I am stubborn... lol.

Debbie

Default Re: Thank you, Egg B.

There are many tutorials on Youtube regarding starting a Xara website from scratch from professional users of the program. I found them to be very helpful. They are widely disbursed on the platform. You could also use the templates and study them (image size, properties, etc) so you have the standards of use.

Default Re: Thank you, Egg B.

If anyone is in Phoenix, AZ and would like to be a tutor to a user who wants more advanced information, love to hear from you.