Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default select transparency color for a bitmap image

As I am learning Xara Extreme, I just copied the google graphic into Xara. As you may know, it is a bitmap image with a white background. How do you select that white and make it transparent? Photoshop CS4 has a magic eraser that you just click on any color and voila! it is transparent.

Default Re: select transparency color for a bitmap image

Welcome to the forums,

First let's be clear here. Xara Xtreme is not Photoshop and neither is it a raster (aka: bitmap) editor. So clear your mind of the raster-mindset, it will help with your future questions

Xara Xtreme is a primarily a vector graphics illustration application.

To your question.
    Removing the object from a white background depends very much on the image and the purpose for the result.

Most commonly the shape editor is used to 'cut out' (intersect) the object from the background. But there are a umber of different approaches depending on the intended use of the graphic.

But rather than me going through all this yet again, please make use of the forum search because your question has been asked many many times over.

Here's one result to help you along

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Red face Re: select transparency color for a bitmap image

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Welcome to the forums,

But rather than me going through all this yet again, please make use of the forum search because your question has been asked many many times over.

Here's one result to help you along
    Sorry, didn't mean to waste your time.

Smile Re: select transparency color for a bitmap image

Hi guys and welcome to the forum

I hope you don't think that Steve (aka sledger) was brushing you off. It's simply that this question is one of the most frequently asked in the forum. The information has been presented many times and in a variety of ways. To keep answering it over and over is wearing, especially when it can't be explained in a few words. It also takes time that could be spent responding to other questions.

Don't feel badly. We've all asked common questions at one time or another.

It's usually a good idea to try the search function before posting your question. You may well find what you need immediately without having to wait.

And if you don't, by all means, ask away.

My experience based on a sampling of one person (me) is when you visit a new forum, it is easier to just ask your question than to try to track down a previous post.

But for the moderators in these conferences, the same questions get asked over and over and over again and again and again and...

So that is why we advise new users to use the Search function first (it's in the blue bar at the top of the page) and then if the answer is not there, or if you do not understand, then post your question and we will do our best to explain.

btw folks,

That first link to help along Jamie came in really handy for me. I played with it and came up with the following picture of my cat.

Thanks for asking Jamie, I hadn't come across that post yet....although I'm sure I would have sooner or later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KisaBg.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	66115  
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11